1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking 2 computers x2

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pete8811, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pete8811

pete8811 Thread Starter

Hiya all.
    My problem is. I am trying to create 2 home networks for 2 different people. Both are using a motorola fibre optic connection, 1 is wireless, 1 is cable. I cannot get either to recieve packets or recognise the other computer in a network. I feel like i am missing something basic, am i? :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please explain what you're trying to do. Are you working on two independent networks? If so, why not work on one at a time? If not, please be more clear about the issues.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

3. pete8811

pete8811 Thread Starter

Ok will do as best i can from what i remember and wrote down. The first is a network containing a compact pc (of unknown make and model) running XP and the second is a computer put together by someone else, so its a bitza, also running XP, (sorry no other information there) the modem is a "motorola sb5101-au" cable modem using fibre optic connection and causes an ip address conflict, the error message is something akin to cannot share the same ip address. :eek:

The ISP is clear or Telstraclear, a new zealand internet provider. What struck me as strange was that both problems had the same thing in common, the failure to send packets when i viewed the status, which is why i thought it may have been settings.
    Hope this is of some help.

4. JohnWill

Once again, is this one location or two?

I'd like to see this for each of the machines:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. pete8811

pete8811 Thread Starter

6. JohnWill

You appear to have enabled ICS, at least that's what it looks like in that IPCONFIG.

Since there are two computers, can you supply ALL the information I asked for? What about the wirele3ss router? How about the IPCONFIG from the other machine?

Again, is this two separate locations, or a single location? You seem to be describing two locations, but you only provide information for one computer.

Finally, rather than posting screen shots to ImageShack, please post them directly here:

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

7. pete8811

pete8811 Thread Starter

Ok John, i get the picture. The IPCONFIG was, taken from both machines, i had to email them to myself as the location of them is miles away. One of them failed to send (despite looking like it did) hence only one. Im so busy lately that organisation is beyond me at present, so i will gather it when i can and get back to you. Cheers.
    AND to top this all off, this is the wrong ipconfig for the two machinnes i mentioned.
    If anything, you mentioned i enabled ICS.... why is that not helpful and should i uninstall it. I H8 Vista!!!!

8. JohnWill

If you have a router, you do not need ICS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice