networking 2 p.c's to 2 differnt i.p. address ranges

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zishan

hello all,

I have a huge problem with getting 2 ranges of i.p address's working on our lan.

the situation is as follows;

i have 1 p.c with 2 net work cards 1 with 1 range of i.p address & the 2nd network card with the 2nd range of i.p address

the router has been configured

i have tried to put a machine on the 2nd i.p range but it can't see the network.

the os is nt4 workstation

please help

thanks zishan.

How is the router connected? Use the second NIC as a gateway address on the other PC's on the network and set the router table to forward packets between the two networks. You could just bypass the second NIC alltogether and set up all the routing in the router,,,that's what it's for.

zishan

Hi Rock,

Please find below the structure of my network;

We have 1 Router with one ethernet point which has an address of 195.173.74.1, basically it is setup to forward i.p address range 195.173.74.0 to 195.173.74.1 and also the i.p range 195.173.8.64 is also routed to my 1st network card i.p address which is 195.173.74.57

my p.c. has 2 nic's the 1st nic i.p address is 195.173.74.57
the second nic i.p address is 195.173.8.65

i then configured a machine with 1 network card to put on to the 8.64 i.p range the i.p address i gave this machine was 195.173.8.66 the problem is it can't see or browse the network,

where am i going wrong???

plz help thanks Zishan.

Use the address 195.173.74.1 as a gateway address on all the workstations. Still don't know why you are using the second NIC in the first PC. Are both of the networks on the same physical location?

zishan

hi rock,

thanks for the reply, when u say both networks in the same physical location what do u mean???

the answer that i can give u at the moment with my understanding is i have 2 ranges of i.p address's the 1st range 195.173.74.1 is now full through to 195.173.74.62, i then went to my isp and said i have run out of i.p address's plz can u extend this range they said sorry but this range cannotbe extended because it has been allocated to someone else so they assigned me a range of 195.173.8.64 to 195.173.8.125.

because the router can only support 1 range of i.p address's because it only has one rj45 network point, they said to get this working i need a p.c with 2 network cards 1 for each range.

i hope this helps.

thanks,
zishan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online