1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking 2 PCs... can share DSL connection, but can't "see" each other!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by starwolf39, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

I'm trying to network two PCs together, I'll give you a run-down of the situation:

Both have a Netgear Ethernet card. Each computer is connected to the Netgear Hub using their own ethernet cards. I have a DSL line connected from the hub to the modem, so that the two PCs can access the DSL line at the same time (this works fine). However, when I go to the Network Neighboorhood, both computers can't see each other. Both are also running WinME. I made sure that both comps have the same workgroup name, but it still doesn't work.

Also, one of my computers has a spare ethernet card, if that helps at all.

Any and all feedback wound be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. angel

angel

Try installing Netbeui on both.

3. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

umm, what's Netbeui again?

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

Netbeui is a protocol that simplifies small peer to peer networks. To add right click on network neighborhood, click properties, click add, protocol, microsoft, netbeui. Do this on both computers, also sometimes it takes a while for other computers to show up in my network neighborhood, (up to 3 minutes) open N.N., right click, select refresh. Just an idea, hope this helps

5. mody

mody

First make sure everything is connected properly and also maksure u installed the ethernet card driver for both computer correctly.. sometimes it asks for windows cd after the ethernet card installation. if u didnt do it, needs to do tat.. follow this if u have to do tat go to control panel-->system-->DEVICE MANAGER-- under there go to NETWORK ADAPTERS choose Net Gear ethernet card and remove it and then restart the computer, Once thats done it will say new device found-- put the netgear driver floppy/cd and after tats done it should ask for the WINDOWS cd put that in and point it to the right Drive. click ok

Next thing to do is NETWORK configuration-- CONTROL PANEL-->NETWORK ---choose the TCP/IP that has been accociated with network card or adapter-- it might be something like this--{TCP/IP- Netgear -something} , click on properties choose obtain an IP address automatically-- open file and print sharing check both of the sharing-- then go to the identification tab put the computer name and WORK GROUP NAME-{HAS TO SAME FOR ALL THE COMPUTERS} leave access control as share level control.. click ok then again an ok--it might ask for the windows cd-- provide that and then restart the computer-
    After thats done go to my computer right click on the drives tat u want to share -- click on sharing--> choose share as-- then access type--
    do the same same steps above to each computer... u should be able to see the network after u configure everything
    any questions --e-mail me at [email protected]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice