1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking 2 XP Pro Computers.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MEbeME, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Hi all.

Here is the situation.

I share an Internet connection from one XP computer to another via a wireless router and usb receiver thing. I have no problems with this, it works flawlessly.

My problem is, that the main computer can see the files on the other one, but not vice versa. I can not share printers or anything.

I wish to make it so that when I press print on one computer, it will print in the other computer as it is the one with the printer. and stuff like that.

Also, I want to make it so I can log in with either account on either computer.

Help

Thanks

2. TheDude5555

TheDude5555

There is an excellent "How To..." guide on Technet that will step you through this process. It is specifically written for XP Home edition but also apples to XP Prof. Follow the steps outlined in the article and you should be home free.

3. TheDude5555

TheDude5555

4. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

that guide does not help me

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I want to make it so I can log in with either account on either computer."

Easy--create each account on each computer. But if you mean you want to login to a different computer over the network (not locally) I think you'll need a server to define a domain--way over my head.

I suggest that you describe your network; from what you posted I infer that you have dial-up internet and have ICS enabled on an XP computer and the ICS enabled computer is called "main" or "the other one."

"See" when applied to computers and networking means different things to different people, so suggest you be more precise about what you are trying to do and what is happening or not happening.

6. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

i have an ADSL Cable high speed connection working fine and I can share files only one way through the main computer.

I want to be able to log into a different computer over the network

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

IMHO sounds like something is corrupt with File and Print sharing on the "main" computer...

Do both computers belong to the same workgroup, and do they have different names?

Do you have the same User accounts on both computers?

Can you ping each computer from each other ( open a command prompt - start - run in the run box type in cmd hit enter ) in the command prompt type in ping <other pc> where <other pc> is the name of the other pc in the network without the < >, do this on both pc's...

Do you get a reply, or packet loss ?

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Also make sure there are no software firewall issues that are preventing you from seeing the resources on the other machine. Temporarily disable the firewall in Windows XP as well as any 3rd party firewalls such as ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc.

As far as logging into other machines on the network, that's easy...just create the same user account on each machine and use XP's built in remote desktop or download one of the many free VPN software packages.

Regards,
    Rollin

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ya know I always forget about firewalls ( I must be getting old :D )...

Ya do what was suggested by Rollin_Again as well ( matter of fact that's probably the problem )...

Going to set back and drink a few more beers and contemplate my age and forgetfulness...

10. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help0 but I have no idea how to do any of those things.

How do I check firewalls?

How to I find the computer name and work group of each computrer?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Surely that guide for which TheDude555 provided a link talks about computer name and workgroup.

If you enabled file and printer sharing the XP firewall is probably OK. To check: Control Panel - Windows Firewall - on the General tab "ON" should be selected and on the Exceptions tab "file and printer sharing" should have a check mark.

But it's probably a 3rd party firewall that needs to be uninstalled or properly configured for the desired access. Sometimes disabling also works.

12. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

I Have Not Enabled Printer Sharing That Is What I Am Trying To Do!

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Don't see why not in the TheDude5555's link steps 6~7~8 walks you right through it...

14. MEbeME

MEbeME Thread Starter

cause I am a novice and have nfi!

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Perhaps you can go through the link (from steps 1~8), and try it, it's pretty straight forward, and easy to follow...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice