1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking 2000 with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AlbertB, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Can anyone offer simple first instance advice as to how to set up networking between machines running 2000Pro and XP? I have no problem with my Win2000 and Win98SE machines. They are set to use NetBEUI rather than TCP/IP, but when I tried to link up another machine running XP I got a completely different set of protocols and was told to insert the XP installation disc into the 2000 machine. I didn't want to make changes at that end until I understood the whys and wherefores. Any comments appreciated.

2. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

I would sugget u use TCP/IP protocol this is the most widely used protocol for network.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you're using NETBEUI on the other machines, for simplicity, I'd install it on your XP system. The install files are buried in the VALUEADD directory on the XP CD. NETBEUI is the easiest protocol to get running, since there is no configuration. Just make sure the computer names are unique, and they're all in the same workgroup, and you should be connected.

Note that NETBEUI won't allow sharing of an Internet connection, for the Internet, you need TCP/IP. Perhaps that will be next week's project after you get NETBEUI running. :D

4. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Many thanks for the help guys, especially where to find NetBEUI on the WinXP disc.

The reason for using NetBEUI was just as you have stated, that it is NOT used for internet traffic. As the secondary machine needs no internet usage isolating the internet and LAN sides of my system like this adds an extra layer of security. My network bindings are all configured to have no overlapping components. (See Shields Up security site advice at http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm for more details).

And it has to be said that since adopting NetBEUI over TCP/IP LAN problems like machines which can be seen one minute and then take a sabbatical for a while have disappeared. Identification is fast and reliable.

5. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

PS

Interesting to note that, in following JohWill's advice I have now found info in WinXP which advises the same thing about TCP/IP and LAN protocol isolation. They use IPX/SPX rather than NetBEUI as the alternative protocol but the message is much the same, use separate protocols for Internet and LAN work to prevent intrusion from outside via the Web.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I count on my firewall to keep the bad guys out. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!