1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking 3 Windows XP SP2 Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RJCaldwell, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RJCaldwell

RJCaldwell Thread Starter

I have 3 windows xp sp2 computers, all wired with cat 5 cable to a linksys cable router. The router is attached to my cable modem and we all have no problems sharing a broadband connection.
    The computers can not see each other. Each computer has its own, different name and each is part of a MSHOME workgroup. File and print sharing is turned on in each.
    Trend Micro Internet Security is supplying a firewall for each and the firewall is set to "office network." Windows firewall is disabled in favor of the Trend Micro.
    The network did function, either b4 Trend Micro or SP2, I'm not sure which.
    Any Suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try disabling the firewall totally as a test. Note that some firewalls must be uninstalled to totally disable them. If it works with the firewall disabled, you have a firewall configuration issue.

3. RJCaldwell

I turned-off the Trend Micro firewalls, one at a time and each of my 3 computers were able to network. But, I also have the Windows XP SP2 firewalls turned off. Don't I need a firewall?
    I run my cable modem through a Linksys broadband router. Does my Linksys inherently have its firewall turned on? If "on" is that firewall sufficient? Have no idea how to check the router.

4. GyBear

GyBear

Yes, your router acts as a hardware firewall for incoming traffic. Yes, you should leave it that way.
    Yes you should run a software firewall on each of the computers to protect yourself (and us) against what could be running -unintentionally, of course- on your rigs.
    No, do not use 2 firewalls at the same time on the same machine.
    Your LAN settings are OK, since everything works with no firewall.
    I don't know the Trend Micro firewall, but you must have 2 settings: Internet (for outside access only) and trusted zone (for all accesses). Try re-enabling your firewall on one of the boxes, and juggle with the settings until you can see that machine from the others. Then replicate them on the other 2.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Basically, you need to put your local subnet into the trusted zone to allow file/print sharing.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Normally, if the routers at it's default settings, you can type 192.168.1.1 into a browser to access your router's settings and check how it's firewall is set up. If it's a linksys, just use username: blank password: admin
    to get in..

7. RJCaldwell

I typed in the address and was taken to my router setup. But, I am not sure its firewall is turned on although I didn't turn it off.
    The opening page looks like this:

Setup Password Status DHCP Log Security Help Advanced

SETUP This screen contains all of the router's basic setup functions. Most users will be able to use the router's default settings without making any changes. If you require help during configuration, please see the user guide.

Host Name: (Required by some ISPs)
    Domain Name: (Required by some ISPs)
    Firmware Version: 1.42.7, Apr 02 2002
    LAN IP Address: (MAC Address: 00-06-25-8B-68-2D)
    . . . (Device IP Address)
    (Subnet Mask)
    WAN Connection Type: (MAC Address: 00-C0-A8-8C-45-46)
    Select the Internet connection type you wish to use

while the security page looks like this:

Setup Password Status DHCP Log Security Help Advanced

SECURITY This panel allows you to configure your router to enforceenhanced network security using ZoneAlarm Pro and PC-Cillin.For more information on ZoneAlarm Pro, PC-Cillin, and DSL.Cable network security, please visit the Internet Security Center.

Software Download:
    ZoneAlarm Pro Settings: License Key:
    Enforce ZoneAlarm Pro Security
    Enforcement Level: More Secure(Check frequently)
    Conserve Bandwidth(Check less frequently)

PC-Cillin Settings: Enforce PC-Cillin Anti-Virus
    Exempt Computers: Enable Disable
    From IP Address: 192.168.1.
    To IP Address: 192.168.1.

I am afraid the information did not copy and paste properly - any other suggestions that may allow you to see if the firewall is on or off?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!