1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking - 4 Computers, all but one works.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Matazar, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matazar

Matazar Thread Starter

Alright, I'm so confused as to why things aren't working with my network. I just can't figure it out.

Right now I have all 3 of my computers hooked up to my network (D-Link WBR-2310) along with my roomates laptop.

So to start I have 2 Desktops and a Laptop. The desktops have huge ammounts of storage and I share files between them and I'm trying to set it up so my roomate can see them too but for whatever reason she can't.

My main desktop is running Vista Ultimate (we'll call it Desk1) and the other one is running XP Pro(Desk2). Desk1 can see the 2 hard drives that are shared on Desk2, can access the files and it all works fine. Desk2 can see the shared drive on Desk1 aswell, all works fine.
    My laptop(Lap1) is also running Vista Ultimate, it can view/access/etc the shared drives on both Desk1 and Desk2. Both desktops can see the laptop in the network, though it has no shared drives.

Here is where we get problems. My roomate's laptop (Lap2) is running Vista Home Premium, she can see Desk1 and Lap1 on the network drives, but she's unable to access Desk2.
    I've done everything I can think of. She's on the same workgroup as the others "Eggnogstick", I've set all the network settings the same as Lap1 and yet she can't access the files on Desk2. It doesn't even show up in the network list. If I make the system show a full network view, then she can see that Desk2 is part of the network, but she is unable to click on it.

I've set the shared drives to allow access to "EVERYONE" for now, but she still can't see it. I even installed the patch for the LLTD patch for the XP machine but that didn't help.

The only difference between her computer and all of mine is that all 3 of mine have the same username of "Mat" and a password, while hers will of course be different. So I've run out of idea. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it, as I don't really want to pull the one drive out of that machine and put it into the vista machine to make it work.

Also if it helps, both the desktops are connecting to the router with wires and the laptops are both Wireless. None of my computers have antivirus or a firewall, however she has Norton IS running.

Am I overlooking something simple?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    For now why not transfer anything she needs to Desk 1 (let's call it Vista :)) ?

I would guess it's Norton causing the problem, try turning it off.

BTW if you access the 'Net with your 3 PC's without a Firewall and Anti-Virus it's just a matter of time before you get infected !

3. Matazar

Matazar Thread Starter

Yeah I can, but I'm looking for a long term solution.

As for viruses, I doubt it, I've been running without AV for a few years, I periodically check for anything but I never find more than tracking cookies.
    I know how to avoid spyware and viruses, my job is mostly removing them all day.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Fair enough about the Virus issue.

I was thinking more of Norton having a Firewall section and that could be the problem.

5. Matazar

Matazar Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm thinking we should try removing that. I just don't understand why Norton would block a windows xp machine, but allow vista to work fine. Mind you, it wouldn't suprise me, I have little faith in anything made by Symantech.
    Thanks for the suugestion.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice