1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking a blu ray and HTPC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobbyman, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbyman

bobbyman Thread Starter

Folks:

I'm not real bright on networking and hope you will help. I have WIN 7 ultimate on my main PC, laptop and HTPC.

I would like to network in a blu ray that has dnla, but it is not wireless. It is physically located on top of my HTPC (Home Theater PC) and my HTPC has a wireless network adapter. The blu ray has (of course) an ethernet port.

A wireless router is hooked to the Main computer.

What is the BEST way of hooking up the blu ray to get a network and internet connection (other than running rj45 from the router to the blu ray)?

Is there a way, through a switch, hub etc to use the wireless connection on the HTPC to connect the blu ray to it? Cross cable maybe?

I've thought about a wireless AP/switch or a powerline network, but funds are tight. I would, however, do it right rather than cheap.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    You should be able to use bridge / ICS internet connection sharing on the windows 7 PC connected to the bluray

recently LAN sockets have been autosensing, so you may not need a cross over cable -

windows 7
    ---------
    TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

form a TerryNet post
    Bridging two network connections:

1. Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
    2. Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
    3. Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
    4. Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
    5. Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

otherwise you could get a wireless range extender , i have a EW-7209APg , replaced now with a EW-7228 (which i have not tried or tested personally)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323898062&sr=1-1

it has 5 LAN sockets and connects to the wireless network - so you can connect LAN only devices like TV, bluray, PVR to the wireless network
    thats what I'm using and stream video, music and internet to my PVR, TV and Bluray

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice