1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking a Win98 and WinXP system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CajunTechie, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CajunTechie

CajunTechie Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

I'm helping a friend set up a small home network between two computers. One of his computers has Windows 98 "Classic" Edition and a Linksys NIC while the other has Windows XP SP2 with an on-board NIC that seems to be working properly.

The problem is that, while the two PC's actually see each other on the network (I can drill down through the "My Network Places" area to each PC), no other communication can occur between them. No pings, no tracerts, nothing. I'm wondering if I've done something wrong in the setup so I thought I'd post the steps I took on each PC here and ask if someone could be kind enough to troubleshoot this for me:

ON THE WINDOWS 98 CLASSIC PC:

1: Installed NIC hardware and software drivers. The drivers say they will work with any version of Windows from 95 up.

2: Made sure that NetBUI was installed for the NIC I just installed.

3: Assigned a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 to this NIC on this computer.

4: Assigned a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to this computer

5: Did not define a default gateway for this computer since it will not require internet access.

6: Assigned this computer the name "Harold" in the IDENTIFICATION section of the setup

7: Left WORKGROUP as the default workgroup for this PC

8: Made sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is the default login client for this computer.

9: Setup a share to share the entire C: with the network and named this share IBM-PC

10: Restarted this PC.

ON THE WINDOWS XP PC:

1: Made sure NetBUI was instaled for the PC's NIC

2: Assigned a static IP address of 192.168.1.20 to this computer

3: Assigned a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to this computer

4: Did not assign a default gateway for this NIC since the dialup modem will handle internet access

5: Assigned this computer the name "Harold1" in the IDENTIFICATION section of setup

6: Let WORKGROUP as the default workgroup for this PC

7: Restarted the PC

I did notice that, as I was writing this, I left out the "Specified Client for Microsoft Networks" as the default client for this computer. Perhaps this is the problema nd I will send an email to the person now to ask them to change it. Otherwise, is there anything I am doing wrong here?

Thanks!
    Anthony

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't say anything about cabling (crossover ethernet?), but since they "see each other," I guess you must be something there. "No pings" indicates bad cabling, bad NIC(s) or Firewalls doing their job. First, make sure that ping 127.0.0.1 works, then disable all firewalls until you get it working.

By the way, I think NetBIOS, not the old NetBUI, is something you want installed.

Side question: is Win 98 Classic the original, not Second Edition?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask. Gateway, and DNS IP addresses are not needed for your situation.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/362730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice