1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking a XP and Vista PC's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mooash, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I've got my family computer which my brother and I used to use until we got are new computer, there connected by a router. Although they cannot see each other. I want to be able to remote access the XP from the Vista PC so whilst my parents aren't on it I can use it from my room. The only problem is that I'm not allowed to have anything to do with it anymore. Anything I can do?

2. racock

racock

Mooash,

When you say 'I'm not allowed to have anything to do with it anymore', I'm assuming that's re: installing new apps on it, or fiddling with the config.

It depends what you mean by remote access;
    If you want full remote access, then you'd have to get the go ahead to install VNC (or realvnc) on it, or use the Remote Desktop. If you just want access to the files on it, you could just connect a local share.
    For the former, or to be able to browse to the machine, you need to make sure thatyou set XP to access the same workgroup, then you should be able to see it in your network browser, or for direct access, just use an address in Windows explorer for \\1.2.3.4\c$, where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of your parents machine, then login as a valid user. You may also want to set up sharing for any particular areas that you need to get access to the machine (Right-click | Sharing and Security | Share this folder, give it a name). That way you could access the files while your parents are using the machine, provided you didn't hammer it too much.

However, if your post refers to 'NOT ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR IT', you'd probably do better negotiating first. ;€)

Rich.

3. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I want to be able to use the remote desktop connection. Except neither Vista or XP appear on the other computer. Bother the computers are set to the workgroup MSHOME I'm pretty sure. Well now they'll both be set to that.

4. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

I want to be able to use the remote desktop connection. Except neither Vista or XP appear on the other computer. Bother the computers are set to the workgroup MSHOME I'm pretty sure. Well now they'll both be set to that.

5. racock

racock

I think Vista defaults to MSHOME, where as XP defaults to WORKGROUP. To be honest though, the MS browse function is traditionally (W2K and prior at least) a little flaky, and some devices don't show up due to the way it advertises the services of the machines.

First off, make sure that the devices can 'talk' to one another at all. Start | Run, then 'cmd' type 'ping w.x.y.z' where the letters are the IP address of the other machine. If you're not sure what that is, you can do a 'ipconfig' on the other machine at the same command prompt. Providing you can get pings between the devices, you should be able to connect...

If you still can't browse to the other machine after checking connections, then you can try mapping / connecting a drive as above.
    You'll probably be running dhcp from the router to get the ip address, which means the address will be likely to change at times. If you have a dns service set on your router, use the name of the device, otherwise, you may need to resort to using IPs.

Providing the above works, you'll be able to use the Remote Desktop connection or vnc using the ip address, or name.

rich.

6. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

Alrighty well they can't talk to each other. The problem is neither computer has ever been to see the other computer. Even when they are both part of the same work group.

7. racock

racock

In what way can they not talk? Are they unable to ping one another? If not, then one or both machines probably has a static address on it.

lettuce know.

rich.

8. Mooash

Mooash Thread Starter

Yeah. When I tried pinging from the Vista PC all the pings timed out.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think we'll close this one now. I suggest you work that out with your parents. If you're not allowed to access it, we're not going to help you with that quest.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice