1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking and control of multiple projectors

Discussion in 'Networking' started by noyotech, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

hello,

i have set up a immersive projection system at our marine science non-profit for public education. The hardware set-up is as follows. One PC connected to internet ethernet via a usb 3.0 giabit ethernet adaptor, and the other ethernet connector from the motherboard is connected to a linksys switch that has six ports, each of which are connected to one each of 5 networkable HD projectors, (infocus 1n138hdst). the system works fine as far as video is concerned. my problem is trying to control the projectors ie turn on/off, configure etc via network. I have followed instructions from manufacturer support and videos to no effect. mainly i should be able to open a browser and type in the projectors ip address and it should open a control panel in the browser window, but i'm getting no connections.

so i'm wondering if it is because i have two ethernet ports active and the browser is connecting to the wrong one? i really don't know, i'm don't have a good understanding of what is going on.

does anyone have any advice that would help in this situation? thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are the projectors on a different IP subnet from the router (assuming you have a router)?

3. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

i don't completely understand being a beginner but this is how thing are set-up....

for the pc, the usb 3.0 ethernet adapter goes to the cable internet router. the pc's onboard Ethernet connector goes to a linksys switch which branches to each projector. each projector can be configured for dchp or a static ip and subnet mask, these options and numbers are enter using the projector handheld remote or on the projector unit keypad. I set up the projector no dchp and instead a static ip and also entered a subnet mask. does this help?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. And you also set the PC's onboard Ethernet connector to a similar (to the projectors') static IP?

5. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

yes as per the projector manual and video instructions, but they say nothing about multiple projectors or using a switch.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like it should be working. Let's double check with ...

What is the IP and mask for one of the projectors?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
    (In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You did set each projector to the same mask but a unique IP, right?

8. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

i am not on site at the moment so not able access the system but i did write down the ip and mask for one projector, i have not set the others yet because just trying to get one up first
    so ip is 192.168.0.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.254, dns 192.168.0.1 , from the 1st projector settings

i can do the checks when on site later, thanks

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why set Gateway and DNS?

10. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

11. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

here is an screen shot of ip config, thanks

Attached Files:

• ip.jpg
      ip.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never seen an "Autoconfiguration IPv4" given along with an "IPv4 Address." Must be some Windows 10 "feature." Don't know how that comes about, or if it is causing a problem.

The obvious problem is that the IP address (192.168.0.100) is the same as what you said is one of the projectors. Even if I hadn't noticed that, it is tagged as "Duplicate"!

13. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

ok, thanks. i will change it to another. do you think it would be ok to have the pc and projectors have sequential IP addresses i.e. 192.168.0.100 .....192.168.0.105?

14. noyotech

noyotech Thread Starter

i will also look into the autoconfig, maybe it needs to be disabled in this case. thanks for your help on this, made a donation, considering becoming a subscriber.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The addresses can be from 192,168,0,1 through 192.168.0.254. They have to be unique.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice