1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sweetcheekies, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

I am trying to network my 2 computers.. I have allowed sharing of everything. However when I try to use a folder that I have no specifically stated sharing it says access denied.. I have allowed all of C drive to be shared.. but again its only certain folders I can acces.. I want to be able to access all of C drive on both computers. Also when I try to print from the computer that is not directly hooked up to the printer i get access denied yet I have shared the printer. I have password protection set to off.. Please help me.. I have one computer with windows vista and the other is winxp... Oh and I have set the networks both to workgroup.. any help?

Thanks
    Sweet C

2. sweetcheekies

3. sweetcheekies

NO one can help??? someone? anyone? Also how the heck do I get control of my own computer.. I am the administrator yet I can't access half my files.. It says I have to be the system administrator.. someone help me please.. Vista seems to be a pain in the arse more than anything

4. jmwills

jmwills

YOu probably have a third party firewall blocking the connections. It must be configured for interzones transfers (within the local LAN).

Plenty of threads here about networking Vista and XP.

5. sweetcheekies

How do i find out if there is a firewall blocking what? And Yea i have read almost every thread of networking vista and xp.. lost and confused is all that happened. I find Vista very confusing.

6. jmwills

jmwills

Most likely you will find a third party firewall contained with a Norotn or Mcafee product. If you are behind a router, the Windows firewallis more than sufficient.

Google for Vista and XP on the LAN together.

7. sweetcheekies

hmm ok maybe I am not making it clear what is going on. I have searched the internet and like i said i am going around in circles. Ok.. I have my new computer on windows vista and my old one on xp.. now I have the network set up i can access the other computer from either computer.. but the problem i am having is viewing any files.. maybe this isnt the right forum for it.. or well not now that i have the share printer thing corrected.. but the remaining problem is every time I try to access a folder vista is saying i can't i dont have the rights etc.. ( this is from my vista computer) I want to know how to take ownership of everything on my computer so I dont have to individually take owner ship of every little folder.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

9. jmwills

jmwills

You used a very key phrase "take ownership". This is something entirely different than what we have been discussing.

Right Click the Documents folder the files are in go to properties, hit the security tab, then the Advanced Button, then the Owner Tab. This is where you insert the username of the machine you are on. This only works on files that you have copied to the new machine.

If this is not your issue, then please redefine it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice