1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcoliver, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcoliver

mcoliver Thread Starter

Hey guys

Right.... i have four computers in my house, one desktop and 3 laptops. I basically want to be able to create a network where i can link all of them together, and just have the one user account for each person rather than mutiple accounts and having to transfer files between them. I dont want to use windows built in homegroup tool as it only caters for file not accounts. how could i do this. do i need to setup a client server network to achieve this, and if so what tools and eqauipment do i need to do this?

My desktop of course would be connected via cable and the laptops would be wirless. i have the use of a NAS and also have a very high internet speed if that helps.

Any advice i would much appreciate it

Thanks
    Michael

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you explain a little more

If they are all on a router - then you can share files between the PCs - just depends on the windows versions on how to do that
    again explain, maybe missing the point here

have a look at some of these links

Sharing Files and Printers on a Home Network for Windows 7 , Vista , XP and Mac
    =====================================================

Use the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 to Share Printers and Files
    The new HomeGroup feature makes sharing files and printers between Windows 7 machines very easy. This link takes a closer look at this new feature to show how easy the sharing process is.
    Use the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 to Share Printers and Files - How-To Geek

With Windows 7, you can more easily share files and printers across a network via the new HomeGroups feature. HomeGroups lets you connect to files and printers with a group password--if all the PCs have Windows 7. This link will show you how to get your Windows 7 PC to play nicely on a network that also has Macs and XP/Vista PCs
    Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition - PCWorld

Share and Stream Digital Media Between Windows 7 Machines On Your Home Network
    One of the cool new features in Windows 7 is the ability to stream digital media to different computers throughout your house. The following link will show you how to set up Windows Media Player in Windows 7 to share and stream videos, music, and other digital media to Windows 7 machines.
    Share and Stream Digital Media Between Windows 7 Machines On Your Home Network - How-To Geek

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
    Since there are three versions of Windows out in the field these days, chances are you need to share data between them. This link will show you how to get each version to share files and printers with one another.
    Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista - How-To Geek

Share files between Windows 7 and XP
    If you have a home network and are running Windows 7 and have XP on other PC(s) you might want to share files between them. This link will look at the steps to share files and hardware devices like a printer.
    Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

Share files between windows 7 and Vista
    If you have a home network and are running Windows 7 and have Vista on other PC(s) you might want to share files between them. This link will look at the steps to share files and hardware devices like a printer.
    How To Share Files and Printers Between Windows 7 and Vista - How-To Geek

3. mcoliver

mcoliver Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Basically i want a network where i can install one set of application such as office and adobe, and every computer can get acess to those programs without me installing them on each machine.

With the user accounts, i just want one user account with one password that can be used across mutiple computers, which will have the same settings and files stored. just like you would get at a school or college so it does not matter what machine you log onto you will have all your documents stored in one location. I tried home group but i found it annoying and didnt reallt get it to do what i needed to.

Thanks
    Michael

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont think you can do that under the licence agreement - but could be wrong , office is usally installed on the actual PC - even in corporate environments - not sure how far SOA has got these days, but i suspect the license costs would be very expensive

other members may be able to help more

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you will need a server, with an actual server operating system, and then as etaf has said will have to look into the license needs of any applications that are going to be server based.

It would probably be cheaper to just hire some local kid to come in once a day and do whatever is needed with your current setup. :D

6. mcoliver

mcoliver Thread Starter

Thanks for both of your comments, i have decided that a client server network is the only way to move forward this. the license keys shoudlnt be a problem as i have access to corporate keys for the software that i am using. so this is where my next question comes in, Networking is one of weakest areas in computing so can i just buy any computer turn it into a server using a network operating system and using any hub to connect a desktop computer, and attach a wirless node to make it wirless?

Thanks

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What you want to do is much more complicated than networking or installing a server. To have one central place to manage user accounts requires something like Windows Server with Active Directory installed and everything configured in a domain. No corporate license allows for employees to install Windows Server on their personal computers. You'd also need the knowledge to setup and manage that server.

There's no setup that would allow for one central installation of programs for all computers to share. The only possible exception would be remote desktop which also requires server licensing and separate licenses for each client.

8. mcoliver

mcoliver Thread Starter

Basically i am a student, and we get access to loads of free microsoft office software from my academic institution, so i have access to windows server 2003 and 2008. i now understand that application programs need to be installed on each clinet, which is not a problem. So i can use windows sever with active directory to mange accounts. But yes you are right the problem will be mangining the server, which is not a problem because this is experience that i want to build on.

Thanks for your help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice