1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Drama...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dreambringer, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dreambringer

Dreambringer Thread Starter

Ok, I am stumped and know alot of people come here, so thanx in advance for any suggestions.

Ok here is what is going on.

I have 4 comptuers.
    1 Dell Laptop running WinXP -computer name George
    1 Dell Workstation running WinXP - comptuer name Kitty
    1 Hp multimedia Machine Win98 - computer name Rusty
    1 Custom build running Win98 (hard Drive dump) -computer name Marty

Ok now that you have stoped laughing about the names, here is my problem.

I have set up a nice network, and 3 of the 4 puters are doing what they are supposed to.

George, Rusty, and Marty can see all 4 comptuers on the network. My problem child is Kitty.

I have check all the componets and they are all installed correclty, I have ran the set up wizard on each machine, I have checked the domain name and they are all the same, I have uinstalled/reinstalled the components on Kitty, and still nothing.

With Kitty I can ping the other 3 systems, and vise versa.
    With the 3 other systems I can get to the "shared folders" on Kitty, but cannot get to the other systems from kitty.

On Rusty, Marty, and George I can see all 4 machines in the Workgroup,
    But on Kitty the only one that shows is Kitty.

I am useing the Microsoft Broadband Netowrk Utility, and it shows all 4 machines with the correct IP address, and can access the folders thru that as well, But just cannot get the other machines to show up on Kitty.

Any help is much appriated.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

Also unless you have a domain controller, you should probably just use a workgroup and have that name be the same. Likely this is really the case already.

As a test, rather than browsing, can you manually map a network drive from Kitty to the other computers. You can either use the computer's name of if that doesn't work try by IP address.

More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. You can double check but the NetBIOS setting of DEFAULT works fine so there is no need to change that either.

3. Dreambringer

Great Thanx... I can manually map'em and get'em to share, any ideas on why I am not able to see them in the work group?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you can get that far. So now it appears to be a browsing issue rather than the ability to connect, which is progress.

If you can't browse, then it might be a issue with which computer is the browse master, or if there is a conflict between two computers vying for the same role.

There is a program you can download which will let you see which computer on the network is the browse master.
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/browmon.exe

Try running it on all computers and see what the results are.

5. Dreambringer

Ok I dont know exacly what i am looking at but here are the screen shots..

Here is the one for Kitty
    [​IMG]

Here is the one for Rusty
    [​IMG]

If you want me to do the win98 machines I can.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On Kitty, why is there an entry for NWLink?

Is only the TCP/IP protocol installed on each computer or is IPX installed on Kitty as well?

7. Dreambringer

Yeah I just noticed that...

the

NWLink NetBIOS
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol

both are.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since that is not a default setting for XP, you might want to just have TCP/IP. Also double check that all the other network settings are the same as the other computers (except for the computer name and actual IP address).

9. Dreambringer

Ok, got that fixed.. and it now matches Rusty and still no workgroup but the drives are there ...

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Dreambringer,

I just hate browsing problems. Such a pain to figure out. Especially when we finally to your computer to where you can make the network connections, just not by browsing.

One not so technically elegant solution might be to just manually make the connections you know are out there and leave it at that. Hopefully new ones aren't getting created that often that you will need to keep doing this.

But I'll keep looking around for you.

11. Dreambringer

Great thanx, sorry for the long response but had some issues non-comptuer related to deal with.

You have helped me out greatly, and I do appriate any more help offered. I still have yet to figure it out, but am able to browse the network drives, but still wont show up in the workgroup, which is not a big deal, as long as I can browse around.

Again thanx for you all your help.

12. Dreambringer

Ok yet more drama to report.

Now when I turn on Kitty.. it crashes the network... well does not really crash the "network" here is basicly what happens.

The curso stays as the arrow, but has the hour glass on it, and it flashes very fast, this happens for about 20-30 seconds.

When its done it crashe my cable modem.

What i have to do to get it back online is...

Turn on Kitty first, then disconnect my cable modem, reconnect it and let it connect with kitty.

Once kitty has the connection then I can turn on the other machines. But if the other machines are on and i connect Kitty then it crashes...

what am I doing wrong?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is all the IP address information on Kitty.

Does the IP address conflict with that on any other computer.

On Kitty, can you use a known working network card, cable and port on the router.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice