1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking from a remote location

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whisperer123, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whisperer123

whisperer123 Thread Starter

My husband works remotely from our home in NY, for a company in California.
    He has an office in our home, and logs into his company’s computer every morning and logs out every evening.

We are also In Canada on and off because of family and health problems with my parents.

He wants to be able to use a laptop that he takes everywhere he goes, and continue to work no matter where he is.
    But he needs to log into his computer at home in NY, which will log into his computer at work.

That way if he’s late getting home, or if there is an emergency, he doesn’t have to miss work, and he will still be working out of NY, no matter where he is.

I know this is Networking, and I know it can be done. I know there is a program he can use to do this. I just don’t understand how, and what program. And I don’t know how it’s all set up and how it works. We are older, and don’t understand computers that well.

I also wanted to know if this works with a card reader?

Thank you

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm assuming the computer in NY at your home is company provided. If so, there is probably going to be controls over what he can and cannot do in installing programs/modifying that computer. I have some ideas in my head but none of that is relevant because he really needs to talk to his company's IT department. They're the ones who have to come up with a solution for your husband. If you do anything outside of official approvals, your husband runs the risk of being fired. Yes, it's that serious and should be.

So the only advice anyone can provide you is to have your husband contact his company's IT department. It even may need to originate from his manager. If he works remotely, I'm sure there is an option to provide him a company approved laptop which has the necessary VPN setup to connect into the company network.

3. whisperer123

I posted a reply, but now I don’t see it.
    I’m glad I copied it.
    Thank you

No, it’s his own personal computer, and his own personal card reader.

They don’t care where he works, and can log in anywhere. He’s never had a problem. But when we are in Canada and he logs in, a coworker said that he might have an issue logging in, when he’s out of the country.

The supervisor and manager said that they don’t care, as long as he does his job. They are the ones that said to do what he has to do because my mother is ill.

But he didn’t want any problems with having log in issues from Canada and it showing up Canada on their systems.

4. zx10guy

Then he should be able to purchase a laptop and do what ever he did to get his desktop to connect to the corporate network on that new laptop.

If everyone truly doesn't care about what he uses and where he connects in, why would they care if he connects in from Canada?

5. whisperer123

I just wanted to know the name of the program and how it works.

I’ve seen posts before.... one, where a woman Lives in California, but her clients are in NY, she set up a network so her clients see her in NY. So I know it gets done.

As far as his job.
    His boss is his friend, and he adviced him to not raise questions with the IT department of why he’s in Canada.

He understands the risks, and probably will just end up taking leave. But, it’s my mother who isn’t well, and we need answers from someone who understands networks and how they work.

Thank you

6. zx10guy

I do understand about networks. That's not an issue. It's working within the parameters of what is allowed with the company.

Based on your last reply, it appears this is not allowed within the overall framework of the rules set by the company. Because if this is an approved activity, none of this needs to be kept hidden from anyone. As such, I don't think I nor anyone else can assist any further other than to contact the IT department.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice