1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Game/Comp Prob!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhapsody, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

Please HELP!!!! neither Xbox nor Linksys is of much help....

I presently have 2 comp and 1 xbox live all hooked up to a router - up until about 4 weeks ago I was able to connect to the internet with my 2 comps and xbox at the same time - now i can only get one at time on line.

>>>> The prob started after i had to unplug the Xbox from the Router - now we can no longer connect all 3 items at the same time, not even just 2 of them. It has to be one at a time or none at all.

Does any one know what might be causing the problem? Does the 2 comps and the xbox all need be on a different ip addresses? Please HELP me for Xbox Support nor Linksys Support seems to know what might be going on. Verizon (my DSL server) did mention that it seemed as though the Xbox
    "might be" stealing all the bandwith - not for sure!!!!!

I await any and all HELP..... my family needs its 3 way connection back - it is killing mom - lol.

Thx,
    Rhapsody :cool:

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Yes, all three devices need to have unique IP addresses. Is DHCP turned on in the router?

You could always connect each device to the router and check their IP addresses. I'm not sure how to check the IP address of an Xbox but it can't be that hard.

You could alway download this to one of your PCs and install it. Do a scan of the IP range that the Linksys is ginving out (when each device is connected to the router).

It's possible that the Xbox is set to BOOTP or something else and has aquired an IP address and doesn't want to release it. If it's keeping an IP address and the router doesn't know about it the router will try to give out the same IP address which would cause problems for you.

This might come in handy as well.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/faq/workarounds.htm

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

I have a linksys router at home with two x-boxes. We could connect to x-box live but it had a bunch of random disconnects. Loading new firmware solved the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice