1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Help Across the Internet Needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Riskier4ra, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riskier4ra

Riskier4ra Thread Starter

Hello,

I provide PC support to family members across the internet by taking control of their pc's.

Since they all live in other states being able to do this makes it efficient for all of us.

However, my brothers daugther just got a laptop with wireless access and talked her dad into getting a wireless router.

Not knowing how this would affect my capability I said it shouldnt pose as a problem.

Well hind site im sure is 20/20 in this case...

I use a program called VNC to take control of their pc's remotely.

When they put the router between them and the internet I could no longer get to them.

I figured I would need a router too, so I got a router and I have been trying to set it up so I could establish a connection with them and I havent been successful.

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Bascially I just need to be able to connect to their pc through their router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

d

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recommend UltraVNC, it's the best of the VNC versions.

As far as getting it to connect, you need to forward the port(s) in use through the remote router. If there are multiple machines behind the router, and you want to have access to all of them, you'll have to configure the screen number for them. 5900 is screen 0, 5901 is screen 1, etc. That's all you should have to do to the router to access the VNC behind it.

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

What johnwill is refering to is you'll need to have them modify the firewall software that is active on their new router. Your router is pretty much irrelevant if you didn't need it before. However if you continue to use it, and it also has a firewall configured, you may need to adjust it to allow return traffic back in.

But you will certainly need to adjust their firewall to allow your VNC connection attempts to get through that router. I'd just be looking up the ports that need to be opened for that to work, I'm fairly certain that more than just the 5900 + ports need to be allowed in. It should be pretty easy to find out the port list by googling for something like <VNC port list firewall>...

Good Luck,

-Scott

4. JohnWill

You shouldn't need to tinker with the client side router, I use VNC all the time without opening 5900.

For a single machine running on screen 0 for any of the VNC versions, it is indeed 5900 only, remember I use this to support a bunch of remote sites. If you have two, say running on screen 0 and 1, then you need to open 5900 and 5901. I hope that the requirements for more screens is obvious from the progression. :)

5. Riskier4ra

Riskier4ra Thread Starter

Yeah I understand what you all are saying. I downloaded and installed UltraVNC and I am trying to test it but Im not sure what you mean about forwarding ports.

I found an area in the admin on the router that you can forward ports on but not sure which port numbers to assign. Im thinking 5900, 5901 etc...

But on the server side of UVNC I can only see where it allows you to choose one port which leads me to believe each machine needs to have the server service running on it.

I use to work in a corporate environment whith satelite offices all over the country, and those offices all shared and had access to the same network/domain.

Is there a way I can do the same thing?

I was thinking If I could setup their routers to direct all traffic to my provided IP and forward those IP's to a domain server would that get them into my network? And if it would, by logging into the domain they would then be allowed to re-access the internet via my connection...

Hope this makes sense. Im an infrastructure and client guy with very little networking experience. Just enough to make my own **** work and stay secure. :)

Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas...All welcomed!

By the way thanks for being here and willing to help poor dimwitted souls such as myself

6. JohnWill

Yes, any machine you want to connect to requires the VNC server running. If you have three machines behind a router, you'd pick logical screens 0, 1, and 2 for the three machines. You'd open ports 5900-5902 on the router's firewall to allow the connections. That's really all there is to it, then you could connect to each machine behind the router using the same public IP address and the port number corresponding to the individual machine.

7. SPSU_Guy

SPSU_Guy

Okay (Risk)

Let do it like this... let say that your family ip address is 98.76.54.32 (this would be there ip address you use to connect to there computer. Now they have a router let say that the ip addresses of the router on a subnet would be 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.12. This is three machines with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 . Okay now... you open the ports of the firewall like 5900, 5901, 5902. Three machines. Now in the router you console into the router and give the computer you want to access a static ip.. (don't have to but if you do this then you will always no what computer you are accessing) Now configure in your router that when accessing this lan that you are using port 5900 for the computer 192.168.0.10 (first computer on the lan). That should pretty much do it... See you forwarded the packet to port 5900 on machine with the static ip address 192.168.0.10.

That is what I did to use remote connection on my machine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice