1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking help .... diagram included :)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TypeSK, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok ..... first, i drew a diagram ....

http://www.whiteazn.com/ubb/homenetwork_diag.jpg

was wondering if this was possible and if this was the correct way to set it up ....

i would like to set up my own personal webserver .... but that really isnt the issue (well, maybe not now, maybe in near future)

so i have a cable modem .... with static IP address, and am allowed to have my own server (service has open port policy to allow me to use port 80 for my webserver) ....

so i have the cable internet, plugged into the WAN port of the WIRED router .... the router is set with the IP/DNS settings .... it has NAT enabled, so the address range for that router is from 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.100 with the gateway being at 10.0.0.1 for the router (thats the address of the router where the setup screen is).... with one of the ports, it is wired to computer #4 with an address of 10.0.0.2 and gateway set to 10.0.0.1 ....

ok...yea, i know thats the right setup... but the next part, is where im iffy at ....

on a 2nd port, it is plugged into the WAN port of the WIRELESS router .... i set the settings for the IP to be dynamic, so it would pick up an IP from the WIRED router and connect to the internet ... am i correct on this? (i would guess the WIRELESS router would be assigned an IP of 10.0.0.3 with the gateway IP being 10.0.0.1)

and of course, the WIRELESS router has NAT enabled, and its address range i set to being 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.100 with the gateway being 192.168.2.1 (again, the address of the router where the setup screen is) ... so computer 1-3 have an address of 192.168.2-192.168.0.4

---------

so thats the correct setup and internet should work on all computers right?

and i have one more questions:

1. will computers behind the wireless router (computers 1-3) be able to see and browse normally the computers behind the wired router (computer 4) ? im thinking they wont since they have a different IP addresses and all ...

the reason behind all this confusing setup is that i have a wired linksys router that has all the options i need to setup my webserver while my wireless router is very basic in its settings.... and i need a wireless router to enable access to various computers around the house .... but i am thinking about getting a new Linksys wireless router to just solve this whole mess ... lol

but im pretty sure this setup should work ... am i wrong?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why not just get a WAP and connect it to a port on your router. The wireless clients will still get the 10.0.0.x addresses from the wired router and you would only have one network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice