1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeus, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeus

zeus Thread Starter

I need to know how to hook my old computer to my new computer so that I can transfer some of the programs. The programs are to large to transfer to disk and too expensive to buy at the store. Can anyone help????

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

you've got your choice of peer to peer or hub, using windows ICS software, or commercial software (most have trial periods, sygate for one)

try these links for the details:

<u>practically networked </u>
    <u>helmig's - world of windows networking</u>

but:
    programs are difficult to transfer, most store files in a variety of sources so odds are you'll get programs that don't work unless you reload them on the new PC

you could try backing up your hdd - c:\, c:\windows, and c:\program files
    and restoring them to the new PC, then upgrade/reinstall the OS and the various drivers
    - a pain but it works with some cursing and swearing :)

good luck

3. rayfree

rayfree

There are other possibilities as well for transferring large files from one machine to another.

1> ZIP drives. These can connect to a parallel port, and use
    100Meg removeable media. Copy to zip from one machine, then
    restore from zip to the 2nd machine. Downside: cost of the zip drive.

2> LINKWIZ or a similar package. Linkwiz is a DOS program that comes with serial and parallel cables for connecting two machines.
    You can copy anything from one file to an entire partition from one machine to the other. There is also a special capability to backup an entire partition as a single file, so that one machine
    could be used to backup another. One caveat: you have to set up a DOS boot diskette for your system which has all the software drivers you may need to access your drives.

4. kiltydel

kiltydel

Instead of networking I think it would be easier to put your old hard drive into the new computer temporarily and use a program such as Norton Ghost which is very easy and needs no networking

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice