1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking - I can access it, but I can't ping it.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by damonfreeman, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damonfreeman

damonfreeman Thread Starter

Hi there.

I'm having real problems with 2 computers at home that I'm trying to play a network game on:

The PC's are running XP, and are connected by a hub. Using file sharing options, I can transfer files between computers (although it takes very long - longer than usual) but when setting up the multiplayer game, the computers can't see each other.

When I try to ping the other PC, I get a "request timed out". I've tried restarting the machines and the hub, all to no avail.

Something else I've noticed, although I don't know if it's relevant. My alternate DNS server is not connecting either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Damon Freeman

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Sounds like XP SP 2's firewall in action.

3. damonfreeman

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm running SP-1 on both computers and the firewall is not on.

It's a mystery!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You probably have some other AV or spyware protection application that's blocking the ping. If you can connect, there aren't many reasons you can't ping...

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The LAN connections with SP2 works a lot better than with SP1. That's where you need to have people disable the firewall for network access. SP2 doesn't need to have this done. So finally you can have a decent firewall and still access your LAN.

Are you trying to ping by both IP as well as name?

6. damonfreeman

Yes - I've tried to ping IP and name. I'm about to install SP2 to see if that sorts it out.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I didn't think that SP2 was generally supposed to fix basic networking problems like this.

Are you certain you have good network cards, cable and hub.

8. damonfreeman

Seems to be ok. I can ping my ADSL Router without any problems. I have also tried changing cables but the problem persists. I think it might be time to call in the professionals.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

10. damonfreeman

Thanks! I'll check it out!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice