1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking ICS problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Topazz, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I have set up a network between a Win XP Home and a Win 98 computer using a CAT 5 cable and have got them sharing files, pinging each other, etc etc, but try as I might I cannot get the Win 98 PC to browse the internet.

The Win XP Network Wizard was run on both machines but when the internet couldn't be browsed I changed the DNS settings on the Win 98 machine from auto to the IP address of the Win XP box but that did not help.

The Win XP is the Host and browses the web via the 56Kbps dial-up connection no problem but when I open IE on the Win 98 client and point it to Google (for example) it will try for a few moments, show the web address down in the status bar then give up and produce the Page Not Found error with Done in the status bar. Any other attempts produce an immediate refusal to even try to go anywhere. Makes no difference whether firewall is on or off on either machine but I have left it off mostly whilst experimenting.

Interestingly enough I can ping addresses on the internet from within a DOS window on the Win 98 box. Pings are successful to Google using either their IP address and typing either "google.com" or "www.google.com". However, other sites can only be pinged using either their IP address and their address as "sitename.co.nz" but NOT "www.sitename.co.nz".

Feeling that the Win 98 modem might be causing some kind of problem I uninstalled it from System Hardware and also went into Networking settings and removed all the protocols and everything in there, rebooted then reinstalled the network card off its CD and the Win98 CD when prompted. I noticed that NetBEUI was not reinstalled when it was there previously. It now has just a TCP/IP protocol.

Next I ran the WinXP Network Wizard again on the WinXP box and on the Win98 box. No firewalls running while I did all this btw. Tried all the pings again -- exactly the same results.

Internet Connection Sharing is definitely checked on the 'Advanced' tab on the WinXP box but there is another option, "Settings" and in there nothing is ticked. That mystifies me a bit but I have left it alone.

Sorry for this being so long-winded but is there anyone who can shed some light on this totally frustrating dilemma and offer some advice on how to overcome the problem? I am unable to change from the CAT 5 cable to other hardware.

Is it possible that there are old networking remnants of some kind lurking in the Registry causing problems? If so how would I locate and remove them?

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Is your win98 machine using DHCP? I have the same setup as you, with an XP box sharing my connection to two other XP's, a 98 and a linux. Has always worked great for me.

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

As far as I know the Win 98 machine is not using DHCP. I am very new to networking and don't really know what DHCP is or how to get it.

4. calabash

calabash

For ICS & Win98 here is two of the best docs I've found:

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp

on the right there is a search box. For "Description of How ICS appears in Network properties" type in 236465 for an XP equivilant type in 310563

For "How to Troubleshoot ICS problems" type in 238135 for XP type in 308006

These docs help me troubleshoot ICS.

5. indylift

indylift

I had the same problem using XP system as host networked to a system using ME.Spent two weeks trying to figure it out only to find out my ISP did'nt support ICS. May want to check with your ISP provider before you pull anymore hair out.:)

6. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Thank you calabash for those links, I will print them out for reference as they look very useful.

That is something I hadn't thought of indylift. I do have another ISP account that I could have tried if I had known although I will be changing to yet another ISP next week so I should contact them and ask about their policy first. Thanks for that advice.

7. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

From the XP machine that is running the ICS....go to a command prompt and type ipconfig/all ,write down the ip addresses of the dns servers that are listed (at least 2, but possibly 3). Enter these DNS addresses in the Win98 IP settings and that should take care of it.

Lemme' know how that goes.........

8. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Success at last. :cool:

In the end I removed the modem and reformatted the Win98 computer, reinstalled Windows, applied the updates and once again ran the WinXP Network Wizard on both machines. This time it all went smoothly with no problems whatsoever and I have the two machines connected to the internet simultaneously on the one phone line. Networking also works fine.

Very pleased that I finally got it all working and have learnt a lot over the past few days.

Thank you for all the help given. :)

9. calabash

calabash

Well, it's a good thing your're a casual user... :rolleyes:

10. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

Hey Calabash.... I used to work with a Neanderthal type...wanna' be Network Admin/PC-Tech that used that "casual" approach at work. He was fun to watch...for awhile :)

I remember that he used to handle a lot of the AutoCAD stuff...and the Engineers would call him and he'd "troubleshoot" (more like grunt & groan) for 5 or 10 minutes...then get up and say "I'm taking it with me". When they'd ask when he'd be back with their p/c he'd tell them "in a week or so...it's a very difficult and lenghty process to set these machines up with AutoCAD and join the domain". Funny thing is that he actually got away with that for like 4 years.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable....!!! Needless to say...that company is no longer in business :) Just thought I'd share that bit of comedy with you.. :)

11. calabash

calabash

OMG! That's rich! I'm an exhibitionist, I prefer to mess up in front of others! :p

When I read Topazz's post, I bust a gut laughing. Not at what was done, but the way it was reported. You know, "Oh, and I transplanted a heart before lunch." type of thing.
    Only with Computers can you get that level of dedication and tolarance! Like, to get my bagle toasted, all I had to do was convert the way power was delivered to my house! I love computers!

I recommend this book to all who work with beige - Humor the Computer, edited by Andrew Davison. I used to work in a VAX shop (I'm in high demand ;) ) and the tale of "VAX and IBM" has me in tears every time.

Ah well, I gotta go mis-configure something..

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice