1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jthompson, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jthompson

jthompson Thread Starter

Hello, I'm trying to setup a network between my laptop and desktop computer with a linksys 10/100 network hub.
    Both the computers have windows xp pro.

After i run the network setup wizard on both computers,
    the desktop seems to have installed fine and can browse and view the workgroup computer mshome. But on my laptop when i try to view the workgroup computers it times out and says...

"mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have permissions.the list of servers is currently unavailable"

I also disabled the icf, to make sure that wasn't it.But nothing.

any ideas would be appriecieated.
    Thanks

Jeremy

2. Dan O

Dan O

Did you use the Home Networking Wizard to set it up? As it configures TCP/IP settings, workgroup membership, and Internet Explorer settings for every system on the network, all at once. It is also used to share printers, and create a shared document folder that is accessible to all users from any machine on the network. Also does both PC have the same user accounts? Otherwise you have to enable the Guess account, which is risky.

3. jthompson

jthompson Thread Starter

yes i ran the setup a small home network wizard on both computers. I have a cable modem and a 5 node hub plus a server running on one of the computers.

The only way i got the network to work was select "this computer connects directly to the internet" from the setup wizard. And then the server stops because its the network changes the ip address, sets it to find ip address automatically, when it needs to be a dynamic ip address , which i need for the server to run.

is there a way to get my laptop to connect to the dynamic ip address and network that way?

4. Dan O

Dan O

To me "sets it to find ip address automatically" and "dynamic ip address" are the same thing.

I think Windows XP is confused about your setup and you need to manually tweak it.

I think if I understand your setup that the LinkSys hub is acting as a router, firewall, and DHCP host.

Therefore, each PC should be configurated with "this computer connects directly to the internet". You don't want Windows XP being the DHCP host and playing other IP games.

To view computers on your network, click My Network Places on your desktop and then click View Network Computers.

Click View Network Connections and configured the communications correctly.

5. jthompson

jthompson Thread Starter

ok , yes i understand what your saying about the hub.

What i meant was that i have one staic ip, for the server, and a dynmic for the laptop.

Is there a way that i can network my laptop, with my desktop that has the staic ip?

Becuase when i run the home network setup, it swithches the staic ip on the desktop to "find ip address automatically".

Which means the server wouldn't work after this because it changes the staic ip address.

Thanks again

Jeremy

6. Dan O

Dan O

Don't re-run the Home Network Setup Wizard. Its job is to go out to every PC and re-configurate it. Like I stated you must now manually tweak the network setting as you have a hy hyper set network. You can use a static address for the server but it must be in the same subnet as the workstations, which are using DHCP from the hub.

i.e., 192.168.100.xxx.

Then My Network Place within My Computer each PC should see each other. Then make your shares and check the user accounts.

For example, on the server and on every PC with shares there is a user account for the PC wishing to use the Share resource.

7. jthompson

jthompson Thread Starter

ok but how can your use the same settings on both computers ?

When i go to change the subnet on the laptop it requires me to change the ip address also..which on the laptop is static so it sets the ip address automatically right ?
    or this wasn't what you were saying?
    the exemple you gave looks like an ip address... the subnet i have looks like 255.255.255.0

8. Dan O

Dan O

The last 3 digits must be different. If you network is configurated as I suggested the LinkSys is the DHCP device. It determines the subnet used. Usually you can configurate the LinkSys a range to use (the low numbers) and save the higher numbers for static IP addresses, such as for servers. If you want to take a chance and not mess with the LinkSys just use a high number for the server, such as .200. As usually it starts with the lower range. To determine what Subnet address you should use for the server check a workstation IP address using My Network Place or by running IPCONFIG.

9. jthompson

jthompson Thread Starter

I don't know exactly but my isp gave me a subnet mask when i signed up for the static ip address. Its 255.255.255.0 .

I don't understand exactly what your saying but i've come to the conclusion that i should just setup both the computers to use the same subnet mask, but how do i do that without using the same ip address on both machines ? I know i go into network connections and then into the ethernet adapter, and then tcp/ip and set the configurations from there right ?

10. Dan O

Dan O

255.255.255.0 is the netmask, not the IP address. I feel you are getting close to a resolution but a little background information would help. Here's a link to an article that should help: http://www.tcu-inc.com/mark/projects/NetHome.html

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!