1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by dboiler, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dboiler

dboiler Thread Starter

I have 3 machines in a Domain called, say, Domain. One of the machines is a NAS Powervault and runs Windows Server 2003 and a second one also runs WS 2003. The other runs Windows Server 2008. In another physical location, i have another server running Windows Server Standard and its in a Workgroup called Workgroup all by its lonesome.

I ran a permanent VPN connection between the Workgroup machine and the Domain machines. It's a security issue with clients. Anyway, my issue is this: I would like to use the NAS for my Workgroup backup but I cannot see that machine from the Workgroup nor can I see the Workgroup machine from any of the machines in the Domain.

The Workgroup machine is also on another subnet but that shouldn't make any difference, I don't think. I can ping any machine from the other using their respective internal IPs as they are all connected via the VPN.

Also, every machine has the same Preferred DNS server and I also have the WINS enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Any ideas on how I can see these machines by name from a Workgroup to a Domain and verse visa?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice