1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking issues after installing Windows 7 on one computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paulr24, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulr24

paulr24 Thread Starter

Hey guys. I installed Windows 7 onto one of my computers (the one that connects directly to fios) a couple weeks back and since then I have been having network issues. All of the other computers on the network run XP, including the one that has my printer connected to it. Since I upgraded the one computer to 7 all of the other computers have been unable to print (aside from the one that is actually connected to the printer of course).

All computers are on the same workgroup, MSHOME. After I installed 7 on the one computer it defaulted the workgroup to HOMEGROUP, so I had to change it back to MSHOME and got rid of the homegroup (the new Windows 7 feature). On the computer that is running Windows 7 if I look at the network it sees no other computers, but if I go on one of the XP computers (the one that is attached to the printer) I can see the Windows 7 PC, as well as the other XP ones. On one of the other XP computers I cannot see the other XP computers, but it allows me to add a network place so I can see a shared folder on the Windows 7 PC. It, however, does not allow me to add a network place that is located on any of the other XP computers. I'm very confused about all of this and I have no idea what might have happened, and I need to get these computers networked with the printer once again.

After I realized that none of the computers were able to print I went into system options, right clicked on the network printer and clicked properties, and I got the "Print spooler service not running" message, but it is running. I added a new printer and updated my drivers and tried to add a printer on each computer on the network and tried to select a shared printer by name but they all say "Cannot connect to printer. Check the printer name," etc. I have no idea what to do at this point so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Shut down all computers. Boot the "host" (the one with the printer directly connected) and one other XP PC. See if you can get connected and print to the remote computer. If successful, boot one PC at a time and see if you can get working again. If unsuccessful with just the two PCs please show for each of them ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/861512