1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Issues from Hell.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JoniC, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoniC

JoniC It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Ok, one computer (a Win 98 on a Novell Network) started having issues on Friday. It lost it's ps/2 mouse first, then after we got a USB mouse up and running it seemed to drop it's network card. I've reinstalled it, and put all the settings back (it has a static IP) to no avail. I put in another card (of the same type), nada. Reintalled Novells client. Nope. Reinstalled Windows 98. Nope. Wiped the computer, reinstalled Windows 98 and the Novell Client. Nope. The card has to be at least working and connected at the board because the data lights are blinking on the back. It can see it's self but I can't ping to it, or see it on my LAN.

At first I thought perhaps I had a corrupt sector on my hard drive, but windows 98 seemed to install fine. I considered a virus but I ran it thru the Norton's 2002, and that seemed fine too. I am absolutely out of ideas. Any suggestions are hugely welcome.

Joni

2. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

sounds like motherboard may be going out-
    i've run into those issues before. the little quirky things tend to eventually be one big thing.

hope that helps

m

3. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

Which version of the Netware client are you using...? Is this a Netware 4,5 or 6 network...? Windows NT servers on the same network...? What are all of the protocols, services & clients that you are running. Feel free to send a screen shot.

4. JoniC

JoniC It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

The saga continued...

(I should point out I've done the same install 100s of times, and have done it to that specific machine as well without incident so I don't think it's software or NIC, because it was working fine earlier in the week)

I decided this morning to try a couple more things. I turned it on, plugged in the PS/2 mouse. Now it works. GAH. Then I thought, well maybe it's my network cable, so I carried the machine up a looooong flight of stairs, very very carefully I might add and hooked it up in my office. No video. No video beep during POST.

So that's it. The machine is 6 months old. It's going to the shop. I suspect it's the mobo, let's hope it is because then it's under warranty.

On an entertaining note, I got a call yesterday from a nonprofit that I subcontract for, about their network not working....went in, and plugged the router back in :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice