1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Issues - 'Resolving host' & General Connection Failures

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lanarion, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Hi,

This is a bit of a last resort. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a fairly old computer from around 2006 (3.2ghz, upgraded to 4gb RAM etc.) I use a Belkin 802.11g wireless card, connecting to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

A few months ago, I started having odd connection issues. Nothing new was installed/uninstalled. Previously, the last thing uninstalled was a Steam version of M&M:Dark Messiah, but that was about a week previous. What would happen is that whilst browsing the internet (Chrome) the browser would not connect, saying 'Resolving Host'. When this was happening, no other browser would work (they'd just be 'loading'). Other programs would work (so, League of Legends would work except for the 'browser' bits such as news, Google Talk would work). I would have full signal, packets being sent, and I could always connect to the router config utility. I looked around, read a load of stuff about DNS problems, tried the fixes, with no luck. Eventually I stumbled across someone who recommended I turn off UPnP function of my router. I did so, and things miraculously worked. No problems at all.

Until last week. Despite the UPnP function being off, and despite not changing anything (to my knowledge) my internet has gone crazy again. It's worse than before. Posting this was an exercise in frustration - more 'resolving host' problems. Interestingly, the problem has spread to other programs - AdAware can't connect to the server and thus can't run, apparently; other scanners show no malware/spyware. Connecting to League of Legends is much slower - although once I am in the game, it runs entirely properly - as low a ping as ever. I've searched around and entirely failed to find a solution that works. On Chrome I disabled DNS-pre fetching, and that seemed to help, for about 2 minutes. Then back to normal.

I have had ZoneAlarm installed in the past, and have Avast! running. I recently reinstalled ZA after the problems restarted to see if that would change anything, but nothing so far.

Any help? I'm more than willing to provide extra information - not entirely sure what would be relevant.

Thanks a lot!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

You could post your HijackThis log and see if anything shows up

Download HijackThis to your desktop
    • Close all open windows
    • Double click on HJTSetup.exe on your Desktop
    • Click Run and Install
    • It will install to Program files by default
    • it will launch Hijack This
    • Click on "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
    • Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
    • Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

3. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Hi,
    Here's the HiJackThis logfile:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 13:55:40, on 06/04/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wltray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Card Configuration Utility\Belkinwcui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Last.fm\LastFM.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell.co.uk/myway
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe //ICWLaunch
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wltray.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wltray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTXFIREG] CTxfiReg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMEKRMIG6.1] C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\IMEKRMIG.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISW] "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe" /icon="hidden"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Global Startup: Belkin Wireless Utility.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.directsong.com
    O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A8F2B9BD-A6A0-486A-9744-18920D898429} (ScorchPlugin Class) - http://www.sibelius.com/download/software/win/ActiveXPlugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BF985246-09BF-11D2-BE62-006097DF57F6} (SimCityX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/play/classic/SimCityX.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D821DC4A-0814-435E-9820-661C543A4679} (CRLDownloadWrapper Class) - http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlocx.ocx
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Deskscapes - {EC654325-1273-C2A9-2B7C-45D29BCE68FB} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\DeskScapes\deskscapes.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Stardock Vista ControlPanel Extension - {EC654325-1273-C2A9-2B7C-45D29BCE68FD} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\DeskScapes\DesktopControlPanel.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: StardockDreamController - {EC654325-1273-C2A9-2B7C-45D29BCE68FF} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\DeskScapes\DreamControl.dll
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Audio Engine Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CTAELicensing.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
    O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Broadcom Wireless LAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

---

Any ideas? Thanks!

4. Megabite

Megabite

You could try disabling Spybot - Search & Destroy....and removing Zone alarm...as a test

5. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Alas, no luck. Still resolving host, still unable to connect to AdAware's service.

Any other things I could try?

6. Megabite

Megabite

7. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Did that. AdAware still couldn't connect, Chrome worked beautifully, for about 5 minutes. Then, back to resolving host.

Any other ideas? You can understand my frustration at this point - thanks for taking time to help!

8. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

That said, my whole internet is browsing slightly faster (when working). So small bonus...

9. Megabite

Megabite

Is this the free AdAware.....in settings I believe you can set the download place manually....if it is the free one uninstall it and reinstall it from the Adaware site.....I use to use it but it is now over blotted

10. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Oh - and just to clarify - it's not just AdAware that's broken. iTunes has problems connecting to it's store - patchy at best (currently not working at all!)

11. Megabite

Megabite

12. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Currently, everything seems to be working fine (in the process of downloading AV5). If not adaware, then what do you recommend?

I'll post back tomorrow - if the internet manages to stabilise (no resolving host problems) by then, then I'll declare the problem solved and opine your praises with gushing verbiage. If not, then I'll run AV5 and then repost the HiJack log.

Thanks for your time anyway!

13. Megabite

Megabite

If you like Adaware then still use it...........I run online scans now and then......one I use is SuperAntiSpyware.......but I uninstall it after I scan

14. Lanarion

Lanarion Thread Starter

Alas - not entirely fixed. Slightly better than before (rarer resolving host moments) but they definitely are back. Three attempts on this page...

Any ideas?

15. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have the lastest drivers for your wireless card

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!