1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking - It suddenly broke

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pewe, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

I installed Vista and on completion could browse the network and see the other PC.

I could also see the Vista PC from the other one which is running XP.

I could connect from the XP to the Vista PC in Windows Explorer and transfer files (although I had to enter the Admin username and password setup on the Vista PC for the XP one to get the access).

Suddenly this morning I could no longer see the XP PC in 'Network' on the Vista PC (although it shows in the Network Map), and when I see the Vista PC on the Xp one it now asks me for a password, but the username is greyed out having the XP PC name in it.

Can anyone either explain how the h**l Vista works with networks, or point me in the right direction.

According to the MS help process, all the settings are correct, but it don't work properly.

TIA.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One thing that can help is to have the same user accounts and and passwords on both computers. Also the default is for the user account to have a password for network access.

3. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

Forgive me - I don't understand what that refers to. Which user account, and how does one set it for network access.

I understand how that may help - but this defeats the whole point of password protection on different PC's.

MS have spent 10 years and $10 billion (according to their press release) to develop a system which is 'totally' secure and brings the power of networking to the growing army of multiple PC families.

Vista has only been officially released for 2 weeks and already internet forums everywhere (including MS Vista newsgroups) are populated with postings from people who have similar problems to mine - which to me demonstrates a lack of consistency in the networking in the Vista system. It seems to break itself (with no interference from the user) and there is no solution offered anywhere from MS to explain how to correct it.

This is going to frustrate and annoy home users who are not very technically minded and expect it to work out of the box (which it appeared to at first).

Two other problems I have encountered today which also seem to be 'common'.

For no reason the Mobile centre lost my PDA and the only way to recover it was to uninstall the software and re-install it, and if I set a permanent IP address for the network card Vista no longer talks to the Internet - a big problem for multi PC user who need to set internal IP addresses.

None of these issues were a problem in XP, (although Activesync was a bit flaky) and will further frustrate users.

Sorry for the rant, but as you can probably tell I am extremely frustrated - as are a lot of other people, and we are all desperately seeking a positive solution to the problem. As, so far, MS have failed to contribute one we have to rely on the good nature of the Gurus who frequent forums such as these and hope they may have one.

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

Im currently researching your issue. However, Im a bit curious as to why you want to set a static ip for your Vista box. (192.168..?). Your answer to this question may help in resolution. Thanks.

5. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

The main reason is that I use VNC - which I have yet to figure out how to set up on Vista as there are currently permission problems (but that's a problem for another day) - and VNC uses the IP address to connect.

I use VNC because my office is at the bottom of the garden and my main PC is in the office.

I have software on the main PC that I don't install on my laptop, but when I am in the house working, I use VNC to work with the software remotely on the main PC.

When I have sorted out the problems with Vista (currently on a test PC in the office) I will install it on the main PC to replace XP.

By the way - thanks for looking in to the problems - much appreciated.

6. tjamnz

tjamnz

Are you using VNC wirelessly or with ethernet (wired) from your garden? Im assuming you want to use vnc so you can access your desktop remotely. Have you considered networking soley with a "workgroup" and creating a network share?, at least then you could access specific folders and files without the use of VNC for now anywhere on your lan. As long as you permit "sharing" this shouldnt be a problem. (at least this is a bandaid for now)

edit*xxxxx

If i was in your shoes I would install vcn on my vista box.

control panel>
    Programs>
    Programs and features>
    Use an older windows program>
    this will open program compatability wizard click "next"
    select the "choose list of programs button" click "next"
    scroll and highlight your vcn program, click "next"
    scroll and select Microsoft WinXP button, click "next"
    select display setting (you dont have to choose one) click "next"
    select the check box that allows you to run the program as administrator, click next
    click next, click continue.

this may resolve your issue with VCN. I saw on vcn website that its compat w' Windows 98, 2000, XP, and Server 2003, (but not natively for vista, I didnt see it)

7. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

I use wireless (XP on both the laptop and PC).

That's the problem I am having. The Vista PC, Office PC and laptop were all networked and had access to each others files - until this morning when it suddenly all stopped working - and all I had done was to re-boot - no PC changes, installation of software or updates between it working and re-booting.

Apparently this is not an uncommon problem.

8. tjamnz

tjamnz

Ok... I guess i was trying to address the VCN issue also. Anyways, In the "Manage wireless networks" management console... the "profile types" link (on top) should probably be set to "use all-user profiles only" in your situation. I'm also assuming you have checked the share checkbox in the "wireless connection properties" box (share tab).

You can also diagnose and repair network connections...

network and sharing center window>
    diagnose and repair> (select left hand window pane)

Also make sure any "computer name" is not the same as your "workgroup" name on the entire network, this can cause issues also.

to access workgroups in vista

Start>control panel>system>computer name>domain>workgroup settings> change settings

Also try the "people near me" service (if ALL else fails)
    control panel>
    net internet link>
    people near me link> open
    enter unique name>
    click sign in to people near me button> ok
    click the sign in automatically checkbox when windows starts.

by default all of your winboxes should be able to communiate if their all networked to the same router/gateway & have the same workgroup name.

In the past ive seen alot of frustration becuase someone had one box checked when it should have been the other option, computer names "the same" as workgroup names, and one letter missing from the proper spelling somewhere etc.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually it is the same with XP Pro. And there is no password protection. That would be for shared level security. This is user level security like has been for NT3.X, NT4, Windows2000, XP and now Vista. It is the user account that the security is placed.

10. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

Already did that and it reported no errors.
    Did that too.

They did at first, but suddenly stopped - no changes were made to anything on the PC from the time they worked and I closed down, and when I next booted up and the problems started.

I have also been through the MS help system checking all the network settings like permissions, Private versus Public network, file sharing, etc and all the settings are as they should be and as they were when everything was OK.

I had already been through all of the settings to check them at least twice before posting in desperation.

Bob -
    I'm not too familiar with all the Security levels from the NT days as you probably can tell.
    All I know is that with XP if 2 computers has the same WorkGroup and Directories were shared with network users (full access) they worked.
    I expected Vista to be the same and according to MS documentation it should be.

Apart from the Vista PC asking the XP one for a username/password to access it, everything did work for a few days until this morning.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So is the problem still - "I see the Vista PC on the Xp one it now asks me for a password, but the username is greyed out having the XP PC name in it."

12. tjamnz

tjamnz

Q: You wouldnt happen to be sharing your entire c drive on your xp box, are you?

13. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

Yes - and I can't see any other PC's in Vista.

Yes - but then it has always been like that. Why do you ask?

14. pewe

pewe Thread Starter

I don't believe it!!!!!

Nor will you.

This morning I started the Vista PC and it had a problem - it hung on the Password screen for some reason.

So I re-booted, went to check the Network and low and behold I could see the XP PC and the XP laptop, and could browse to them.

Thinking this was crazy I re-booted, and same again - the Network is working.

The only problem I am left with at present is that the response to selecting the Vista PC in Network Neighbourhood on either XP PC returns a permission denied error.

On the Vista PC I have disabled Password protected sharing which says that other network users can access the shared folders without a password - so I'm a bit confused as to why the XP PC's can't view them.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just as a test, have you tried using a password on the user accounts?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice