1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking laptop xp and desktop 98se

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wallshaker1, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wallshaker1

wallshaker1 Thread Starter

my situation is the same as THIS but i am lost. i need to share a printer that is hooked to the desktop with my laptop so i may print when i'm in another room. i followed the tutorial from HERE but when i got to the part of making a share folder on xp i got an error message that said the server service was not started. can someone please take me from the top and start over so i may get this right and not put all my stuff out in the open for any hacker to get?

2. mfay50

mfay50

Do you currently have a wireless router with wired ports? If so, that will be step #1. After that you need to share the folder for the files you wish to share. You should also set up a login name on the Win98 machine that matches the XP computer's login. Be sure the Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on the 98 pc and set as default. Also check to be sure your workgroup names are the same. The next item is sharing the printer. Is it an older parallel port model or USB? As long as the laptop is XP, you should have no problem telling it to look for a printer on the network. In the case of the newer USB printer, you may need the CD for the XP machine to load the drivers. Older parallel port printer drivers should be in the printer list for XP.
    As for the server service:
    Right click My Computer
    Left click Manage
    Left click '+' by Services and Applications
    Left click Services
    Look in the right hand pane and scroll to Server. If it is not running, right click on it, then left click Properties. Change startup to Automatic. You can also start the service from here. If there is an error about another process that needs to be running, you can follow the same procedure for that.

3. wallshaker1

1) Do you currently have a wireless router with wired ports? i have win 98se desktop connected directly to wireless router with rj45 cable. i have xp laptop connected wirelessly with a wireless-B notebook adapter.
    2) After that you need to share the folder for the files you wish to share.
    i have a folder on each machine to share and that folder has what looks like a hand icon on it.
    3) You should also set up a login name on the Win98 machine that matches the XP computer's login.
    i have login name on 98se however, when xp starts up i have to log on as admin as a different name. what steps do i take here to ensure this is set up correctly?
    4) Be sure the Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on the 98 pc and set as default. done
    5) Also check to be sure your workgroup names are the same. done
    6) The next item is sharing the printer. Is it an older parallel port model or USB? As long as the laptop is XP, you should have no problem telling it to look for a printer on the network. In the case of the newer USB printer, you may need the CD for the XP machine to load the drivers. Older parallel port printer drivers should be in the printer list for XP.
    it is a HP deskjet 832c connected by usb cable.
    7) As for the server service: done

4. wallshaker1

5. teetdogs

teetdogs

if its attached to the xp box and is shared just start the add printer wizard and and select browse for a printer and type in the networked name I.E. \\xpboxename\printername. oh but be sure to enable netbios over tcp/ip first, this really helps when networking 98 and xp boxes. or if your really desprate try running the microsoft broadband networking setup ( just do a search for it),this will set your network up for you just follow the prompts hope this helps.

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

You have step 3 in post 3 backwards. You need to create a user on the XP machine (doesn't have to be used to login, just needs to be in the users list)that matches the username and password used to logon to the 98 box.

7. teetdogs

teetdogs

You dont need to have an acount on the xp machine for the 98 machine to network them i dont know why people think that you do. the only reason i could see you setting up an acount on the xp machine would be if you were using it as a domain controller. seriously just share the printer and then map to it. its that simple.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice