1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking, length of cable and quality of cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chewie1012, Dec 9, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Guest Thread Starter

My house has been networked for some time now. I have had a router and two computers. Recently I added a laptop. I ran a new cable from my router through the basement and up into the living room. At first I couldn't connect at all. I cut off ten feet of the cable and I could connect but not very fast. Then I switched for an unrelated reason from dsl to cable. Now I try to download a page and I get the date and half of the page in a minute. When I disconnect the laptop and plug it in where my main computer is I have no problems. My kids desktop is connected fine but the laptop won't connect at all on their connetion. Do you think I need a better quality cat 5 cable? I think the length is about 50 to 60 feet. I am not ready to spend the money to go wireless yet so that is not an option. Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

chewie
    Cable Quality especially on long runs is very important. You can come up against allot of external interference as well as signal strength dropping. Laptops are finicky when it comes to the above
    problems. I suspect if you were to hook up a PC in the Living room
    you would not have the problem. Cat5 cables come in different flavors, for instance Beldon cable has three qualities of cat5.
    You may want to talk to a local PC shop and see if you can purchase the highest quality cat5 available to the specific length you need. Higher quality cable are not cheap either, the per foot price can be significant. Spend some time on the net checking different cable vendors and you will see the difference.
    cat5, cat5 shielded and so on.
    Dave

3. Rockn

Rockn

Look at your cable ends as well and make sure they are pinned and crimped correctly. If they are just done stright through and not to the CAT5 spec there will be signal loss and other problems. In longer runs of cable it becomes even more important. Look at this diagram for 568B...the standard has chnaged again but this should be the best for your application:

[​IMG]

4. chewie1012

chewie1012 Guest Thread Starter

Right now the cable is straight through. It shows I am connected in both my laptop internet properties and my router shows a laptop. Dave you make a point. My childrens desktop upstairs is connected and works although at about half of the speed as my computer which is on a four foot store bought cable. I guess I will change the ends first as this is the cheaper route. If I can get half the speed of my cable modem I will be happy. Right now I test with a speed of modem speed and I have a cable modem. I will try and let you guys no how it turned out. Thanks again.
    Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice