1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking MCE desktop to business server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rendds, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendds

rendds Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am trying to connect a desktop running XP media center to my office network server which runs small business server 2003. I can't seem to have any luck. Other workstations run XP Pro. I bought an upgrade disc to upgrade this MCE unit to XP Pro only to find out I am unable to do that. Is this possible to add MCE to the network or to upgrade this unit to XP Pro (MS says I can not upgrade). I have run a thread search and can't find this info. Please help me directly or refer me to the appropriate thread. Thanks

2. rhynes

rhynes

Media center will not log onto a domain as you know... What you can do is change the workgroup name on the desktop to the workgroup/domain name of your business server, create a matching username and password on server and the desktop. If everything matches, then you should be able to see any shares on the server available to you. I'd disable the windows firewall (and the computer browser, both found under services in admin tools) on the workstation.

If you want to load xp pro, i'm pretty sure you have to format the workstation and load from scratch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice