1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking multiple computers behind a router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kyxon, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyxon

Kyxon Thread Starter

I would like to network 3 computers using a D-Link 614+ router connected to my cable modem. I would like to be able to share files and printers between these 3 computers. I would also like to play online games with one of them. Here is the questionable part- I would like to host a game server (for a number of games) on one machine and connect to it with another.

Is this possible?

I am a networking newbie, please help. My current situation, as ugly as it is, is such: I have a cable modem feeding a hub which feeds both computer A and said router. The router feeds computer B and C. I have two IP addresses, one goes to computer A and one goes to B and C. If I can accomplish the aforementioned solution, I would eliminate the second IP.

Thank you in advance.

2. Simpletown

Simpletown

Well, I'm not an expert but I think I can tell you some things.

If you have a typical Cable/DSL router than you put the Cable modem in the uplink, then the computers connected to the other slots. Depending on what OS you run you might have to do a few things before you can share files and printers. You dont really need a hub unless the router is very poor.

I am a newbie on games and game servers so I dont know what I can tell you about that part.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!