1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking n00b- connecting XP machine to Linux box

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gethedge, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gethedge

gethedge Thread Starter

Hi! I am very inexperienced at networking, so I decided to come ask for some advice. I have my primary computer running XP and a linux box (running Mandrake 9.2). I want to put 2 NICs into the XP box and use one to connect to my campus's network, and then use the second to run a crossover cable to the linux box for internet and file sharing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. Fuzzy Gnome

Fuzzy Gnome

If it was me I'd do it the other way around - put 2 network cards in the Linux box and use it for both file and Internet sharing. XP internet sharing had a bad reputation.
    If you do put the second card in the XP box, search Help and Support for Internet Connection Sharing.
    In either case, use Samba (http://samba.org) for file sharing.

3. gethedge

gethedge Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

I do realize that the logical choice for the multiple cards would be my linux box, but it is a vastly inferior machine used mainly for fun, and one which is apt to have much more downtime.

4. gethedge

gethedge Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a website containing the appropriate settings for the linux client?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice