Networking n00b- connecting XP machine to Linux box

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gethedge

Hi! I am very inexperienced at networking, so I decided to come ask for some advice. I have my primary computer running XP and a linux box (running Mandrake 9.2). I want to put 2 NICs into the XP box and use one to connect to my campus's network, and then use the second to run a crossover cable to the linux box for internet and file sharing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If it was me I'd do it the other way around - put 2 network cards in the Linux box and use it for both file and Internet sharing. XP internet sharing had a bad reputation.
If you do put the second card in the XP box, search Help and Support for Internet Connection Sharing.
In either case, use Samba (http://samba.org) for file sharing.

gethedge

Thanks for the advice.

I do realize that the logical choice for the multiple cards would be my linux box, but it is a vastly inferior machine used mainly for fun, and one which is apt to have much more downtime.

gethedge

Can anyone tell me or direct me to a website containing the appropriate settings for the linux client?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online