Networking new Windows XP into existing '98 server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JodyD

We bought a computer yesterday that had both a P-IV processor AND Windows XP (two things I was against).

We have 5 pcs in all in this office: 1 laptop running ME, 1 desktop running ME, 2 desktops running 98 2nd ed. and the new "offensive" XP.

We are networked, with my PC being the "server". We recently started using fibre optics as our internet connection and we have an 8 port hub attached to the fibre optics modem. The hub is the actual server and all "network" files (up until this morning) were stored on my C drive. I have spent the last 10 hours (breaking to go home and watch Dharma and Greg) trying to get the XP to recognize MY computer (i.e., printers, all files); it recognizes all of the others....in desperation, I installed my unused personal copy of ME at my desk, thinking (erroneously) that XP had a problem with taking 2 steps backwards.

I can see everyone on the network except the XP, the XP can see everyone on the network except me...I have called our tech support guys here but they don't hold much hope for me as they are not yet trained on XP...is my only option to toast the hard drive on the XP computer (nothing much on it yet) and install 98 or millenium?

HELP!!!

I read thru all the info on this, recognizing some of the signs and got all the way to the bottom and it was just a cable problem...ack!!!

Del

Did you try going to System in XP's control panel, then Computer Name and running the Network ID wizard?
And you do have the Workgroup the same on all the machines, correct?
Del

You have reached the limit for peer-to-peer networking I do believe...5 concurrent connections. Also it sounds like you need to set up the XP box to be on the same workgroup as all the others. Make sure all the network protocols are set the same as the others as well.

JodyD

Thanks for your help (s).

In desperation we went outside for some help (charging us $100/hr no less) and 5.45 hours later (after he'd done all the same things I had done) it was determined that the CD-R drive was broken and the drivers for the onboard LAN and sound were not the right ones for the system.

he replaced the CD-R drive and downloaded the new drivers. We are now running Windows ME instead and everyone is networked and "internetted". So our $500 new box ended up costing us $600 support time and $1000 for the PC...WHATEVER!!!

Anyway, thanks again for your help!:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online