1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking newbie

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jludwick78, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jludwick78

jludwick78 Thread Starter

ok i don't know much about this so here is what i want to do...

i have one computer. i have broadband cable internet and a modem. i want to be able to have my modem in one room and my computer in another. so this way i don't have to run a cable line from the living room to my computer room.

i thought i needed a router and adapter card. but when i hooked it up it wouldn't let me diconnect the router from the computer.

in other words i am under the impression that a computer has to be connected to the router and then it links to other computers. but all i want to do is link my one computer wirelessly to my modem.

does this make sense!

please help. i have looked everywhere and keep getting more confused!!

jen

2. DBClark

DBClark

If running a cable is something that you are sure you do not want to do, then configure the router, while wired to it for configuration, and then connect to wirelessly after doing so.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Use an Ethernet Cable to connect the wireless router to your cable modem using either the WAN or Internet port on the router. This will depend on what type of router you have. Assuming you have no security on your wireless router (and it doesn't sound like you do) your wireless card should let you access the wireless network. No other machines need to be turned on to accomplish this. Does this make sense.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice