1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking NT workstation to Win 98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dave97, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave97

dave97 Thread Starter

I have a machine with windows NT workstation v4 service pk 3
    and another machine with windows 98.

I have GF100TXR 3 Faster Ethernet 10/100M PCI network cards in both machines.

Having problems networking them together (ie. NT as th client and win 98 as the server). Most problems are with the NT side. What settings should I use? Also having problems with services - don't really know which services I should load (I'm not a windows nt expert).

2. rtsc

rtsc

Neither Windows NT workstation nor 98 can be server.
    In your case, you can only set up a network of workgroup (in Microsoft's term). Both NT and 98 would be peer. Information is "share" between the two PCs.
    Go to Network in Control Panel, right click your network card from the list and set up a Protocol to use.
    Use NetBIOS / NetBEUI for non-Internet usage.
    Use TCP/IP if Internet will be use.
    If in doubt, use TCP/IP and select DHCP service.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice