Networking PC on a Domain **Please HELP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RockXP

Hello All,

I just joined and I have a question. Im a newbie at this. I have two PC's. One has windows 2000 server and the other windows xp professional. I was just able to successfully create a domain on the windows 2000 server..YAY for me. Now I am trying to add my windows xp to the domain and I am getting error message "the domain controller for the domain "GS" cannot be contacted".

My Domain is "GS"

Both PC are hooked up via a linksys hub. Can someone please assist me and tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct this.

Thanks

First off both PC's have to have the same IP information except the last octet of their IP. Next make sure the client DNS points to the servers IP. Lastly look at your domain name again it should be gs.local or maybe gs.com when adding the PC use the FQDN and you may find this resolves it as well.

Since your working in domain mode you may want to look up articles on Active Directory and DNS.

RockXP

This is the scenario

Windows 2000 Server
workstation id PC001
ip 192.170.1.201
subnet 255.255.255.0

1. I can ping PC001 successfully
2. I can ping ip 192.170.1.201 successfully
3. I cannot ping PC002 - error unknow host
4. I cannot ping 192.170.0.1 - error destination unreachable
5. I can ping my domain gs.com successfully

Windows XP Professional
workstation id: PC002
ip 192.170.0.1
subnet 255.255.255

1. I can ping PC002 successfully
2. I can ping 192.170.0.1 successfully
3. I can ping PC001 successfully
4. I cannot ping 192.170.1.201
5. I can ping gs.com domain successfully

As you can see, PC002 can ping PC001 but PC001 CANNOT ping PC002
I did use the FQDN and that did not resolve.

I created the fwd and reverse lookup successfully.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Change client 192.170.0.1 to 192.170.1.X

You have to have both PC's with the same first 3 octet's. Only the last octet should be different.

Oh yeah and still look at your DNS information since you don't provide IPCCONFIG /ALL's I can't tell you if enything else looks fishy.

BTW is there a reason for running 170 instead of the standard 168?

RockXP

I will change my windows xp workstation from 192.170.0.1 to 192.170.1.X as requested.

X being any number.

Do I still need to change the fwd and reverse lookup manually or will it change itself on the windows 2000 server?

I altered the IP address while posting it on the forum not to give out my actually ip address.

Okay NP the internal IP's give us no real information and are quite safe enough to post. but I understand not doing it

As far as any number its any number within 1-255 that is not in use by another PC or network component.

Reverse lookup should already be set to 192.170.1.X if its not and is set to 192.170.0.X then make the change remove the 0.X and add the 1.X

The FWD zone should auto populate but you may want to delete out the client record of the old one once its changed.

RockXP

It works..It works.

I renamed thee windows xp to the ip scheme as suggested and I was able to add the pc to the domain. My first pc added to the domain, tears are coming to my eyes. Thank You so much.

New Project
Windows 2003 Server hopefully this will be easier and learning GPO.

Thank You once again.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You might want to consider taking a course on Basic Networking first.

RockXP

Just for clarification so I dont shoot myself in the foot next time.

Did I really had to create the fwd and reverse lookup manually or does it get created automatically when setting up the AD part. When I did the fwd and reverse manually I had to do a ton of stuff so is this part necessary? Will popping in the IP address make it work?

Thanks

Remember GPO's are another big thing of Windows network enivronment but nothing to take lightly... THey too require proper network authentication to work so you still need to look up AD and DNS before you delve right into GPO.

There are not "that" many differences between W2K server and W2K3 server so I would probably put my foot into the functionality aspect of the things your loading than I would the OS outer shell.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online