1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking PowerMac and PCs? Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lost texan, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lost texan

lost texan Thread Starter

Ok, I've got an older PowerMac, OS 8.0, that has some important information on it that I need to transfer over to a PC, WIN XP, that is replacing it. The problem is that the information on the PowerMac is LARGE and will not fit onto a floppy and the PowerMac won't support ZIP or other larger formats without spending too much money on a machine that is being replaced by the PC. Is there an easy way to connect these two machine together using a LAN-type connection and transfer the data from the PowerMac to the PC without spending too much money? Buying a hub or something is no problem since that can be reused, but since we are replacing the PowerMac any solution that involves upgrading or buying expensive things for it is out of the question. Someone please help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The files are still going to be in MAC format whether you transfer them to the new PC or not and you will need some software to be able to read them. I remember AppleTalk being used on a Windows network before but have never set one up to share files. You could just take the drive out of the MAC and put it into the PC and set it up as a slave drive and access/convert the data any time you need to. Remember you will need some other software to do this tho.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You could set the Mac to use tcp/ip with a network card and then connect the two with a hub.

Check out this website for more in depth info on setting it up so that a windows box can read the files on a Mac.

http://www.macwindows.com/tutorial.html

Pay special attention to the sections about setting up and enabling tcp/ip and tcp/ip sharing so that the windows machine can access the MAC's files.

4. Zee-Way

Zee-Way

Dear Lost Texan,

I'm Kris Anderson, a Network Tech from Zee-Way Services. You can have the PC's use the AppleTalk protocol to connect to the Macintosh computer. It's pretty tricky to set this up, so you may want to stick with setting up TCP-IP on the Macintosh to connect to the PC's.

What are the file types that you want to transfer to the PC's? If it is a Microsoft Office 97/2001 file then you are safe transfering it onto a PC, and opening it with Office 97/2000.

If you need more help please contact me.
    E-Mail Me
    My Web Site
    Zee-Way's Web Site

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62053

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice