1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking printer and computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gawebspinner, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gawebspinner

gawebspinner Thread Starter

I have three desktops running windows xp, 1 laptop running windows vista, networked together. I have 1 printer networked to all four computers.

My problem: Unless my main computer is turned on the other three computers cannot print. Is there any way to network my printer so that I can print without it being on? I hate having it on wasting juice when I'm on my laptop or the other desktops.
    Thank You,
    GaWebSpinner

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG.
    If your printer is hardwaired to your "main "computer,that is the print server and,I believe, must be on for other pc's on the net to share it.

I believe that there are print servers ,and of course,wireless printers acting as their own print server,which would accomplish what you would like to have.
    Just a matter of how much space you have and of,course,what you are willing to spend to get to your goal.
    I'm sure others will pop on here with other ideas.

That's one of the things that is great with TSG.Many experiences and great ideas.

Also FYI,here is a link to some print servers.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=387&name=Network-Print-Servers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!