1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Printers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tim97, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tim97

Tim97 Thread Starter

I am trying to connect to a printer on my local intranet. When I go through (Add Printer) I browse, and find the computer that has the printer. When I try to access it, windows acces for a password. The connection path says \\Kenner\IPC$

I don't know what IPC$ is???????

There are two Windos OS's
    Win98 to Win2000

Can you please help.

Thanks Tim

2. Monk_

Monk_

Is the printer shared? If not you need to share it and give it a sharename.

3. Tim97

Tim97 Thread Starter

Yes the printer is shared. I have that printer on my list of printers. Just seems that (IPC$) is giving me the problem. I don't know what password it's looking for. Where do I find the password. I have tried all of the user passwords that I have and they won't work.

Thanks Tim

4. Monk_

Monk_

IPC$ is an administrative share assigned by the OS.

IPC$

"A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. Used during remote administration of a computer, and when viewing a computer's shared resources."

Have you assigned permissions to your printer share?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice