1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking prob w/W2K and NT 4

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcseguy9, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

I have a problem that I can't figure out. I have an NT 4 domain and am trying to get a W2K Pro PC to join the domain. All of the hardware and software work fine, the protocol is setup correctly (TCP/IP), and another PC that is exactly the same in every way is able to connect to the domain, log on and be authenticated. I can't figure out why this PC is having a hard time. I checked out MS's knowledgebase and the two things that applied to my situation are correctly setup on the PC. Any help or ideas would be great.

2. angel

angel

Since no one has responded yet...

Can you provide some additional details such as the exact prob you are having (exact text of any error messages, etc). Also include the two 'things' you found on Microsoft's website that you've already checked so we don't suggest something you've already tried.

3. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

angel, thx for replying. i can't remember what the error message was that i was getting. the pc is off-site/remote, but i'll be there tomorrow so i'll make a note of it. because of this, i can't remember what MS knowledgebase articles i looked at. sorry. i know this isn't of much help, but try to remember that there are two identical machines, right next to each other, going into the same router, that were installed at the same time, and one of them works and the other doesn't. wouldn't that mean there's a problem with that one pc that's having a problem? i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling network components, though not the nic, but i can ping locally in the remote office, just not the pdc or any other pc's outside of the local lan. any help would be appreciated.

4. angel

angel

Really, without knowing the error/message or what you've already tried, I don't see how I or anyone else can give you any suggestions.
    The only thing I can provide for now is <a href="http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56396">this</a> post IF that's your error - which I don't know.

Post the information when you get a chance and we'll get this resolved.

5. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

unfortunately, that's not the error message. it was one that stated the computer could not contact the domain or that the domain was unavailable. i went to MS's site and tried to find the articles using the above as the query but couldn't. thx anyway. once i know for sure what the error message is i'll re-post. this should be tomorrow afternoon.

6. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

check both of the computer a using the same range of ip address, let say your nt4 domain is set to 192.168.1.1
    then your win2kpro need to set with in 19.168.1.x
    x means from 2 to 20 or more, now you just just do 2, 3 or 4
    and make sure your cable is good, and you have the correct types of cable

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice