1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Prob

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TSYS, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TSYS

TSYS Thread Starter

Computer will not talk to LAN. All settings check out okay. When ping server get destination host unreachable. Network Cable is okay tried and tested multiple cables. Im Running Win. 98 With a Netgear Card. Card waS taken from a known working computer that had been working on the network fine. I have tried multiple network cards to see if it was the card, but no luck. Is this a software related problem or hardware?????:confused: :confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you connecting from the same wall jack every time you change something? Do you have link lights on the NIC once you plug the cable in? If all hardware checks out it has to be an IP configuration problem.

3. littlemar

littlemar

I was thinking along the same lines as Rockn. I would try a working pc on that particular wall jack. If there is no problem then you won't need to contact the wiring guys. But if the working pc has the same problem, have it checked out since it doesn't take much to lose connection. Otherwise, like stated check out the IP config

4. TSYS

TSYS Thread Starter

The line is fine, i have checked it on many pc's and tested it with a tester. AS far as the ip config. goes where can i check that? Im starting to think its a mother board problem. I contacted the company and they told me to download chipset drivers and that it should fix it and it didn't. The Motherboard is an Epox 8K7A. I have two working pc's with the same mother board and configeration as this one and they work fine.

5. littlemar

littlemar

When I check our IP config I go to the Command Prompt and type in IPCONFIG /ALL make sure that all agree with what you have set up.

6. jimi

jimi

as rockn suggested are the lights on the nic (network card) on? first off i don't know your levelof expertise so bear with me if i ask simplistic questions ok? next to check the ip properties right click on network neighborhood, go to properties, find the tcp/ip that is bound to your netgear card- something close to this tcp/ip -> netgear......., click on properties. is all as you expected, post what it says as far as ip addresses, subnet mask, on the first properties screen what protocols do you have installed??

Mary just saw your posting how do you get the ipconfig command to page, i've just been hittin "pause", if anybody has the answer it's you- TSYS listen to her first she's a professional ;)

7. Rockn

Rockn

Try the |more pipe ipconfig /all | More

If it's a win95/98/ME PC you type the winipcfg at the Start > Run

8. brianw@torchlak

[email protected]

I ran into this recently. Remove all clients and protocols from both computers and reinstall them. Not sure why but sometimes parts of the stack get corrupted.

Brian

9. TSYS

TSYS Thread Starter

see the thing is all the lights are on and the config. is right. its like the mother board is just not talking to the network card.

10. angel

angel

Not necessarily. If one or more of your settings is incorrect or corrupt it's not going to work.
    What are all of your settings? IP address? Subnet? Workgroup? ETC?
    And if something is corrupt, removing and reinstalling the networking components should resolve that prob.

11. littlemar

littlemar

Am I correct in assuming that you tried different slots for the network card?

12. TSYS

TSYS Thread Starter

yes i have

i know im not really that educated in networking, but like i said everything is corect as to how it should be set up.

13. angel

angel

Can you post that information for us? We need to know exactly how you have it set up (protocols, bindings, settings, etc) so that we don't go over things that aren't necessary.

Let's try something simple to see where the problem might be. Can you ping 127.0.0.1? Can you ping your computer's IP.

14. TSYS

TSYS Thread Starter

no when i ping i get destination host unreachable.

this is a High School network. Im in a comp. mnt. class and we are studying networking. i have tried pinging the gateway, and the proxy and i get the same message for both. You would probly sugest we call in the networkin tech guy. The thing is im trying to learn this without his help. hes not the real friendly type.

The thing that gets me is the fact that the other two new computers we built work fien on the LAN, but this one wont. All the settings are the same. The IP is set to Obtain automnaticaly. (tech wont give us IP's he dont trust us.) Then the DNS is set up corectly for our network. The gateway is set up corectly and all the bindings are done the same.

15. angel

angel

So it's set to grab an IP from the DHCP server. Is it getting one correctly (within the correct range)?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice