1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking problem. Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dgdot, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgdot

dgdot Thread Starter

I've been using Homeline PCI's(PN-740) networking cards for about a year now, no problems. (The cards network through the existing phone lines).
    Both computers were and are using Windows 98SE.
    I just upgraded the clientPC (new HD, MB, CPU and reinstalled 98SE). Since I've reinstalled 98Se on the clientPC as well as the Homeline PCI network card and software, the computers can no longer detect each other.
    Homeline claims that it's a networking issue and no longer their problem.
    I'm assuming this is a settings issue on the clientPC's side, since I have not modified the serverPC at all.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

When you reinstalled the OS you deleted all of your network configuration. You need to reconfigure them by adding a protocol, network client (client for MS Networks) and have the drivers for the network card properly installed. I am betting that the drivers did not get installed and if you go into Device Manager there will be an indication of this.

3. dgdot

dgdot Thread Starter

hi Rockn, thanks for replying.
    In Device manger, PCI PhoneLine Network Adapter is listed under Network Adapters. So it looks like the drivers,etc. were installed.

Under Network, the following are installed:
    Client for Microsoft Networks,
    Microsoft Family Logon,
    Dial-up Adapter,
    PCI Phoneline Network Adapter,
    IPX/SPX-compatible Protocol>PCI Phoneline Network Adapter,
    TCP/IP > Dial-up Adapter,
    TCP/IP PCI Phoneline Network Adapter,
    File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network

Any ideas?
    Thanks

4. calabash

calabash

Do you know what network protocol you were running? I'm assuming it was TCP/IP. If so, go to the other computer and open up the network config, highlight the TCP/IP stack there and see how it's configured. Also check the Identification tab for the Workgroup name.
    Then, if that doesn't solve your problem, post the info here.

And, to please the psycho in me, remove any un-used protocols! <smile> such as IPX/SPX and (unless this is the computer that dials in) Dial-up Adapter.

BTW, you don't mention how you connect to the internet. If both PCs were sharing a connection, that will need to be re-set too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice