1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking problem please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Xenos, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I tried networking my friends computer and mine together for some LAN action with some computer games. Some how with tinkering he did, he got them to see each other. Well, it doesnt work anymore. I think he tried changing his network password , but then changed it back to the original one in hopes we could get our network back. I have tried the following:

1. Reinstalling the protocols and clients for both computers
    2. Pinging the other's computer, it only pings for out own Ex: I can ping my comp. successfully, but when I try to ping his, i get request timed out
    3. Tried using only one protocol at a time EX: tried using TCP/IP on both comp, tried using net bui on both, tried using ipx/spx on both...
    4. File and printing sharing has a check mark by i want to give others access to my files, so the file and printing sharing for microsoft networks is installed.
    5. my Ip address for the lan session is 192.168.1.1 and his is 192.168.1.2
    6. In identifications our workgroups have the same name: WORKGROUP
    7. Microsoft family logon is installed on both comp

8. The primary network LOGON is client for microsoft networks
    Noticed the following in the following networks are installed which dont see familar to me:
    Microsoft virtual private network adapter(this installed after i tried signing onto AOL)

NDISWAN protocol is installed(got this after i tried signing onto AOL)
    9. I checked the lights on the hub and the connections for the wires..the lights are on and the connections secure.

I am really frustrated and feel real dumb especially when the world of windows networking site says networking two computers is a snap! Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

What is your subnet mask for each PC? Should be 255.255.255.0. Take out the NDISWAN stuff too. If you are using TCP/IP only install that one unless you are using a game that needs IPX.

3. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

The subnet masks for both PC's are 255.255.255.0

4. Rockn

Rockn

Take out all the VPN crap too..did you say the client for MS Networks was installed on both? It needs to be if you are networking both together. WHat type of NICs are in both PC's and are you sure your cables are good. Can your friend ping his own PC from itself and can he ping yours?

5. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

Here is the status. he can see himself and me on the computer. I cant see no one in my network neighborhood, but when i ping my friend it gets a return, which is good. WHy doesnt it show up on mine? We can play network games, but I cant see him or myself in my net work neighborhood. both computers have client for microsoft networks installed.

6. Rockn

Rockn

If file and printer sharing on his too, go to a drive letter and share it. It generally won't show in Network Neighborhood unless a drive or folder is shared.

7. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I have a drive shared on my computer and he does as well. Any more suggestions? I dont see nothing in my network neighborhood yet we can connect in network games..and he sees me and himself on his network neighborhood.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Can you go into windows explorer and do a search on his PC name and find it?

9. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

I am not sure what you mean by finding it by name? Could you give me instructions please? as for the name, the name of what? computer name or workgroup? Thanks for you continued patience. :)

10. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

Did what you said Rockn by going to start, find, computer. I was able to search by the computer name to see who was on the network. This was much faster than waiting for it to show up in network neighborhood, and in most cases, the only way i could see my friends computer. Is this a flaw of Windows? Just curious on the "whys" here so I can learn more. Thank you Rockn for your help, I learned something new. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice