1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tatersgranny, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tatersgranny

tatersgranny Thread Starter

I have 2 systems and when I purchased the 2nd system they set both up to network . I have got one ( cable/wire? ) connecting the two. Well the problem is ...on the 2nd comp. ,there is no where to connect to the internet...they supposedly had it fixed to automatically connect. Well it doesn`t so I complained about this and they told me to disconnect the cable from the back of main comp. and then plug it back and re-boot ...well this worked for awhile now it doesn`t . And I can`t figure out how else to get connected. Main comp. - win98se ... 2nd comp - win98plus
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Taters_Granny:)

2. Del

Del

How do you connect to the internet?
    You could probably use a router and end your problems.
    From a southern Georgia boy moved to the frozen tundra

3. tatersgranny

Del, I use dial-up. And I really don`t even know what a router is ,but are they hard to hook up and are they very expensive?

Thanks ,Taters_Granny

P.S. Del , Where did you live in Ga.? I am in Americus.

4. contsi

contsi

If only one PC has a Modem the your connection should be: phone line to modem on PC with a modem, and crossover cable between the 2 PC's. Setup Internet Connection Sharing on the PC with the modem. Read the help files for setting up ICS.

5. tatersgranny

Yes ,I only have one modem. And I believe that is how it is set up.Was working not it isn`t. Where are those help files?

Thanks ,Taters_Granny

6. snooker

snooker

Hey there ... I don't understand you have one cable wire and you are using dial up ...Is your internet connection cable or phone line ??? If you are using like i am which is cable well then i have 2 computer running with the same connection .. I do use a router , its not hard at all to install and they can cost around $50 to $100 which ever you like to buy....

7. tatersgranny

hey there snooker..( like the name)....I wasn`t sure what the wire is called running from main comp. to the other,I guess it is called a cable. And I am using dial-up. My main comp. is working fine . It`s the 2nd system that will not connect to the internet.
    Thanks for any help.... This is driving me CrAzY !!!

8. tatersgranny

Update: the people I bought the comp. from fixed it up for networking..all I done was come home and hook it all up. Well they had it fixed where if the main comp. is on-line and you turn the 2nd comp. on it automatically connected. Well I did find an icon to try to connect with and when it trys I get this message: telephone signal not detected Please check connection. Well I know the phone line is working ,because this comp. is connected. Help Please..........................:confused: I am totally lost

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The second computer can't try to dial......of course the line would be busy.....are you sure there isn't another icon?

10. tatersgranny

Candy,it dials but then this message comes up saying....
    telephone signal not detected-Please check connection.
    And yes I am sure there is not another icon. I have never had to use an icon to connect..it usually jusy automatically connects.
    Thanks, Taters_Granny

11. ~Candy~

You're missing my point........if the first computer is already connected to the internet, the second computer simply CAN'T (of course you can try, but) dial out to try to connect.......nor would you want to attempt to do this, as of course, the line would already be in use.

Turn the second computer off.......disconnect the cable.........turn the computer back on.........shut it back down, reconnect the cable....turn it back on........any progress?

12. tatersgranny

Yes Candy, I did miss the point....got it now and fully understand the logic,duh:confused:
    But I tried what you said and it still didn`t work. It is jusy so weird,because the comp. doesn`t get used that much,and about 1 1/2 weeks ago it was working fine ,then one morn. my son told me it wasn`t connected. Have no clue what could have happened.
    Thanks for your help and being patient with me. Any more suggestions??? Thanks Taters_Granny;)

13. ~Candy~

Are you opening a browser window, and the page just isn't loading? If so, go to tools, internet options, connection, lan configuration......is connect automatically checked?

14. tatersgranny

Yes Candy,I was trying to open EI...but looked at what you said and under connections.... Dial-up and virtual Private network settings....it has Earthlink and surfsouth. Surfsouth as default.
    Earthlink is my ISP...and has been since Nov.....under settings: Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    Under LAN settings : auto detect settings is checked. I didn`t see a ( connect automatically) Hope this helps you ,help me :D
    Thanks alot........Taters_Granny

P.S. I no longer have surfsouth.

15. ~Candy~

You want 'never dial a connection' on the second machine......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice