1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking Problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AdrianB, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

I'm new to networking and for the first time I connected my two machines (both win 2000 pro) with a cross over network cable. I've installed Netbeui in the LAN properties and on both machines I have the two computer icon in the task bar saying connected at 100MBPS but cant seem to do anything from here?

Any suggestions?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Are you trying to Share Files and Printers.

Go into your connection properties and make sure File and Printer sharing is installed and then find a folder you want to share and Right click on it and select sharing.

Attached Files:

3. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

I don't believe that's all it was! I wasn't sharing the files. Thanks for that.

The machine that the DSL modem connects too is fine on the internet, but I still cant get the other machine online any ideas on that?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You want to share your Internet Connection!!!:)

Windows has a Built in ICS function but, most of us do not recommend using ICS to share an Internet Connection. If your cable/dsl modem has a Ethernet port buy a cheap home router. Look at my signature for the latest cheap router deal.

Here is a link for setting up ICS in Windows.
    http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/index.asp

If you dont want to spend money on a router then try some of the software based Proxy servers to share your Internet Connection. These work better than ICS the majority of the time. ICS can be real flaky sometimes.

Analog X Proxy Server

Free Proxy

Proxy +

Please buy a router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice