1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cadeau, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Hi . I have 3 computers in the house networked together with Microsoft Network Client. The problem is computer 3 will not show computers 1 and 2 in the Network neighbourhood and therefore files are not accessible, but computers 1 and 2 shows computer 3 in the Network Neighbourhood and files can be read off computer 3 by computers 1 and 2. I tryed all the trouble shooting procedures but to no avail. What elts should I try ?

Ps All 3 computers are running Windows 98 SE

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Install the NETBEUI protocol on all computers, it's available in network properties.

3. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Ok , this is getting wierd. I have been working on this problem all week and it just dont make sence. I am able to ping all computers from each computer but computer 3 still refuses to show computers 1 and 2 in the Neighbourhood network. Computers 1 and 2 see's computer 3 . I even went out and bought a new ethernet adapter. Any more suggestions??

4. JohnWill

Read my previous message.

5. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Johnwill, ok I will do that but do you mean add Netbuei with the other protos that are already there? or just all alone??
    I know only the minumim when it comes to networking.
    Thanks

6. JohnWill

You just install it in addition to the other protocols. It requires no configuration, so once it's installed, you're on your way. The files necessary for NETBEUI for XP are in the VALUEADD directory of the CD, or here's a direct download link with a nice batch job to put the two files in the proper places: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/xp_netbeui.zip

7. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Well Johnwill I added the netbeiu but the same problem exists. computers 1and 2 won't show in the neighbourhood network on computer 3 but all 3 computers can ping each other. Anything elts I should try?

8. JohnWill

Well, if you have NETBEUI on all of them, it's somewhat of a mystery! :D

Can you use the search command on Computer 3 and find computer 1 or computer 2 by name?

9. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

I can use the find computer search and type in the names of the other two computers and they are both found! Is there some type of a security level featch that i should be choosing?
    PS all computers are still able to ping each other..
    PSS I have one other piece of disturbing info that may be a help. I am not able to save my password in dial up . Maybe thers a clue.

10. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Johnwill, i fixed the problem. I formatted and reinstalled win 98se . every thing if working fine now. Very wierd problem. \thanks anyways!

11. JohnWill

Must have been something corrupted in the networking area. All's well that ends well. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice