1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by prodsupptech, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prodsupptech

prodsupptech Thread Starter

problem is there are 4 computers on the network. One windows 98 2 xp pros and one xp home. All are PCS but 1 laptop. The laptop has xp pro. the only computer that is not working on the network is the laptop. It gets internet access but can't see anyone on network. the other computers can see the laptop but can't access it. I'm completely aware of what i'm doing with computers and all the settings are spitting image of the others. I have talked to friends and they've said the same thing. I've ran adaware and all that jazz and still no dice. My conclusions is that its a windows problem. Feel free to ask any other questions or offer any solutions.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that the laptop can access the Internet means that it's obviously networked. It sounds like you have a browsing issue with the laptop, can you PING other computers in the network by IP address or name? Do the other machines have a firewall active, either XP's firewall or a 3rd party? What errors do you get when you try to access the laptop from another system? Have you created accounts on the laptop that matches the name/password being used on the other machines?

3. prodsupptech

the other computers can see each other and there is not user accounts for each other.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

So if for example, on the Win98 and XP Home computers, there is no login password, I don't believe those computers will be able to access the XP Pro one over the network.

This can be changed through the Group Policy editor.

I am also assuming that you have shared some folders on the laptop and given the appropriate access.

5. prodsupptech

there are 4 computers 2 xp professional and one home the laptop is running professional so is one of the other pcs. Its not a login problem I figured it out. Since it can be on the network and it can ping computers its obviously a netbios name problem. I thought about htis when I was at the Business but never actually put two and two together. It has to be that but thanks for all the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice