1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problems (getting connected to the internet)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Habez, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Habez

Habez Thread Starter

I just got a Belkin DSl/Cable router, set up the hardware, had a problem getting connected on the xp computer, resolved itself, and entered the settings into the router

but when i tried to do they same with my 98 computer, i would either get a "search page not found error" or a "cannot find/dns error"
    i know its just not the internet.. because i cant do anything else

i would think it might be the cable BUT i can transfer files between the computers and the cable works when connected to the xp computer

i followed the general setup with the software that came with but it doesnt seem to work

there are advanced options.. but i dont know whaa and were to enter the information

any help would be great thanks

2. larrycleve

larrycleve

I would assume you can see each computer from the other in network neighborhood. In the 98 network properties check that you have tcp/ip. If you have any other protocols delete them. Under tcp/ip properties keep everything at default, ie. obtain ip address automatically. See if this helps. If you have toll free and no fee tech support from your vendor try contacting them. Larry.

3. Habez

Habez Thread Starter

ya, i followed the guide and changed the tcp/ip settings but it still wont work :D glad they make this stuff easy :/

4. Habez

Habez Thread Starter

well now it looks like i cant even connect strait to the modem.. not sure what settings are screwed up

i did a diag on the card, everything worked except networking.. like i said i know the cable works so im guessing its a setting somewhere :( so im totaly out of ideas here

5. Del

Del

Have you tried the tech support for your ISP? Some only allow a connection to a specific MAC address which is different on the NIC's and the router.
    Have you tried turning everything off, then turn on the modem, then the router then the computers?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you appear to be describing is a DNS resolution problem. Perhaps you're working too hard at configuring it. Normally, when you install a broadband router, you configure the client machines to use DHCP and most of the configuration is handled without your help.

On the XP computer, in a command prompt, do an IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results. On the W98 box, run winipcfg from the Run dialog on the start menu, and post the results there. Both machines should have the same gateway and DNS addresses, the only difference should be the IP address of the two machines.

7. Habez

Habez Thread Starter

ya.. i said screw it and reformatted... this computer needed it with all the crap pilling up for 2 years.. now it works and im still not sure what was screwing up the internet, but anyway it works now so delete this thread or wutever

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, that's another way to fix it. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice