1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problems with Linksys cable/dsl router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FMJ300win, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FMJ300win

FMJ300win Thread Starter

I have 3 pc's sharing a cable connection over a linksys router. Out of the 3 computers, the fastest comp (Athlon 2100+ 512 mb RAM) has a slow connection. Browsing the web is slow. It takes neo-modus direct connect more than 30 minutes to work in the busy hubs. Additionally it won't work in active mode, even if I tell it to report the true ip and open up the port or put my computer in the DMZ. Also I can't upload files to my angelfire website or upload to people on kazaa or DC. On the other 2 computers the connection works in a flash. Whats going on?

2. TheWendyGuy

TheWendyGuy

Try swapping ethernet cables with a computer that is getting fast net.

Try running a constant ping from the problematic computer on the router and see if you are losing any packets.

Are you running a personal firewall on the problematic machine?

Have you checked for spyware?

Get back to us.

Also, if you can tell us what happens when things are failing instead of just saying that they don't work.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you check the MTU size? I don't recall the registry key offhand, but there are a number of "Internet Tweak" utilities that will allow you to adjust the MTU size for optimum use with broadband. If it's still at the dial-up default of 576, instead of 1500, it will be a lot slower.

4. Del

Del

If I'm not mistaken, routers normally work best at 1492.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, not exactly. For Ethernet, the MTU is 1500 bytes, for PPPoE 1492, dial-up connections often use 576. My broadband link is a DOCSIS compliant modem, and 1500 is the correct size. PPPoE is frequently used by DSL providers.

6. FMJ300win

FMJ300win Thread Starter

It would seem the cause of the problem was the network card (made by cnet) that the roadrunner guy gave to me when I had cable installed. I swapped it out for a 3com and no longer have the slow net connection issue.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice