1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networking problems with two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by halensa, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halensa

halensa Thread Starter

I have two computers, a new one with XP Pro SP2 and an old one with XP Home no SP. When I got the new computer, I networked them together through a DSL modem/router/gateway and everything worked. Now the new computer can see the old one but the old one does not see the new one. The Workgroup and computer names are correct. When I "ipconfig" the new computer I get IP address 10.0.0.11, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 10.0.0.2. The "ipconfig" for the old computer is IP address 10.0.0.12 and the other two are the same as with the new computer. Also, I can successfully ping both ways but when I open My Network Places on the old computer, the new computer is not seen. The new computer is listed as unknown. But why can I successfully ping the new computer?

FYI, both computers have the latest free ZoneAlarm firewall. However the problem remains even when the firewalls are turned off. Also, I always keep the Windows firewalls turned off.

Thanks for the help,
    halensa

2. snake.eagle

snake.eagle

I have the exact problem. I had this problem first with 2 computer not seeing the third at the clients shop

The strange thing is, they use to all see each other before.

I bought that computer home, the one the others couldn't see at the shop, but it could see the rest, I put it on my network, as I have the same router, I had the exact problem, it could see them, they couldn't see it.

Does any one have a work round for this.

I don't think it is the router, as I have other computers seeing eatch other fine.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The described issue is most often a firewall issue. Here's some general debug tips.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Although you likely have a lot of this already in place, the basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

5. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

I also encountered the same problem while attempting to network two XP machines... Run the "Network Setup Wizard" on the old computer see if this fixes the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!